Logo

1981 Evinrude 9.9 Carb Floading

jculp

Hi,

I have a 1981 Evinrude 9.9. I just rebuilt the fuel pump, Water pump, and Carb. I got it to start but noticed that the carb was leaking out the intake side and manifold side of the carb. It seems that the float is not controlling the flow of fuel to the cup. I do not know how to stop this leak and any information on this would be great! Thank you.

Hi, I think that if you have not set your float properly. Did you put new float? If yes, then it is time to check your float, which should be level witch carb body, when you have carb upside down in your hand. Hopefully someone here can verify my story, because i am not 100% about these new-one engines. If you have still old float, then it is possible that it is so soaked and no-more usable. I´d like to know what parts you have renew to your carb. What was the condition of the gasket between carb halfs?

Does your carb looking like this in the photo? Picture is about my 3hp carburettor after rebuild. Right float level can be seen in photo too.
Carb.jpg

Hi,

I have a 1981 Evinrude 9.9. I just rebuilt the fuel pump, Water pump, and Carb. I got it to start but noticed that the carb was leaking out the intake side and manifold side of the carb. It seems that the float is not controlling the flow of fuel to the cup. I do not know how to stop this leak and any information on this would be great! Thank you.
When installing the float you need to hold the carb upside down with the float facing up like in Evinrudemen's picture. With the needle, seat, and float fully installed look at the float from the side. The float should be exactly parallel to the carb body or even slightly higher on the end opposite this hinge pin. If you have this set correctly you should not see fuel coming out the carb.

KJ

When installing the float you need to hold the carb upside down with the float facing up like in Evinrudemen's picture. With the needle, seat, and float fully installed look at the float from the side. The float should be exactly parallel to the carb body or even slightly higher on the end opposite this hinge pin. If you have this set correctly you should not see fuel coming out the carb.

KJ

You can also do the blow test.
While the carburetor is in the position as described by kevinj above, blow into the fuel inlet of the carburetor with your mouth (or hookup a piece of clean fuel line to the carb to do this if you wish); you should NOT be able to blow any air with the carburetor in this position. If you are able to blow air in while the carburetor is in this position, then your float valve is not seating properly, allowing fuel into the bowl when it shouldn't be.

Alternatively, flip the carb so that the float is hanging (as if the carburetor is installed on the powerhead), blow again. This time, you should be able to blow in air.

Back