Logo

Yamaha 50 hp gear rod connector

Herma90606

I’m new to this forum and have a question about my recently purchased Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke outboard. Just yesterday the connector on the gear shifter rod running from the power heard to the LU came loose. I threaded the nut back on the upper rod and thought my problem was solved. Took the boat out again this afternoon and motor seemed to have trouble shifting into forward; almost like it wasn’t engaging fully. I could get it to go into gear but it definitely was not going in like it should, it would rattle a lot before catching. Reverse was fine. Worked on it some when I got home and adjusted the rod connector and got it shifting smoothly into forward but now it’s hard to get in reverse. Anyone had this issue and know what I might need to do?

Is there a lock nut on it ?----You risk $$$ damage by experimenting / not getting it correct.------Adjust so that the same amount of lever movement touches the gears going to forward and reverse.-----Or hurry to a shop as they set this up in minutes.

Is there a lock nut on it ?----You risk $$$ damage by experimenting / not getting it correct.------Adjust so that the same amount of lever movement touches the gears going to forward and reverse.-----Or hurry to a shop as they set this up in minutes.
Ok thanks, should I even fool with it anymore or just get it to a shop? Sounds like it’s relatively easy for them to do, and would be better just to allow them to do it instead of risking damage to the motor.

Back