Logo

Propeller drive pin sheared, question while waiting for replacement

Sheared the prop drive pin on my Johnson 4r71d 4hp direct drive motor couple days ago. Ordered a new pin. While I'm waiting for it to get here, I noticed the slot the pin fits in behind the prop is a bit wedge shaped, and the piece of broken pin I took out of the driveshaft doesn't fit into those slots from "above" -- it's like they need to be slid in from the side?. Never replaced one of these so not sure if I need to disassemble the prop to get it in. I assumed I could insert the pin into the driveshaft and then the pin would fit into the slots as I put the prop back on the driveshaft. Thanks for any guidance --prop.jpg

Well the slot is a bit worn, But I wouldn't be too concerned. Clean it up and run it. Your assumption is correct, put the pin in the shaft, then slide the prop on. You ordered a couple extra pins, right?

BTW, you might push the hub out of the prop and inspect the rubber clutch ring. It's job is to help prevent shearing of the drive pin. If it is petrified, it will be compromised. Let's say it should be maybe a tad softer than the tread on a new tire, as best as I can describe it.

I ordered five total. Thanks for the clarification on the pin. Maybe when I sheared it the debris inside the housing there beat up the edges of the slot. I'm hoping the pin will slip into that slot and not have to be forced, but we'll see. Regarding pushing the hub out of the prop, not clear on what you mean exactly. I'll study the parts diagram for that part of the motor to see if I can tell how it comes apart. Don't have a manual yet, just got the motor. Might this require a tool like a gear puller?

Since this is a direct drive motor there's no clutch, so I'm guessing your reference to "rubber clutch ring" is a specific part that happens to have the word clutch in it.

Thanks again --

Harold

You could clean up the slots in the prop with a Dremel tool. Then make sure your new shear pin will set in there properly. I've done this before.....I repair props as part of my marine repair business. Here in Northern MN there is plenty of prop and skeg repair, but this year is like nothing I have ever imagined. They even closed smelt fishing except for locals. Out of town people will be fined by the DNR.....WTF?

Thankfully here in Indiana we are still allowed "outdoor activities", including fishing. I'm about retired so up until this pandemic I could go to a lake during the week and not run into too many other boats, but I've noticed now a lot more traffic since no one is working anymore... Every day is like the weekend :)

When you said this year was like nothing you ever imagined, did you mean there was no repair work, or a lot more?

No work. Folks are not spending on non essentials. Gonna run their motors and hope for the best, I guess. So I'm just repairing some stock motors here and see if they will sell later. Should push out opposite thrust direction.......if it's the removable type.....some are not.

Last edited:
Find something like a socket or whatever that will go through the hole behind the prop nut. Use that and some oomph to push the hub out. Then you will see the rubber ring still in the prop. Peel/pull it out. There is also a plastic bushing in there, just a loose fit (normally).

The hub and ring are removable as long as it is the prop that came with the motor.

Back