Logo

Merc guy needs help

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
Got a friend with an Evinrude 30 hp on a Boston Whaler. I believe it's an 88 model (the info plate is illegible). It has factory dual remote controls with a knob that I 'don't understand. I'd ask my friend. but then he'd think I was a dodo!

Anyone know what that knob on the remote controls is for? It rotates about a half turn.

Thanks.

Jeff

I think they put Jeff to bed at 10:30. But I get to stay up late on Fridays when I'm good.

Last edited:
..."I think they put Jeff to bed at 10:30"

Are you kidding? I'm 76 years old. I'm never awake that late!

Jeff

PS: I'll snap a photo for you guys.

Elegantly simple.----The one in your picture on top of the box is the throttle FRICTION adjustment.-------The one on the front is the IDLE STOP adjustment.--------Just a couple of screws and have a wee look inside and you can see it yourself.

Last edited:
And I thought Mercs were a dog to work on!

Had to take half the PH apart just to get the carb off, but she's all back together and running fine.

Back to Mercs!

Jeff

Okay. Got it running great, but it doesn't pump water.

So how do you get the LU off? I dropped it about an inch or so but that's all. Is there something inside the leg that needs to be disconnected? I looked at diagrams on tis site but can't see what actually moves the shifter yoke.

Thanks.

Jeff

So how do you get the LU off? I dropped it about an inch or so but that's all. Is there something inside the leg that needs to be disconnected? I looked at diagrams on tis site but can't see what actually moves the shifter yoke.

Jeff
Hey Jeff. I'm completely unfamiliar with the 30HP OMC's, but could this be your culprit? It looks like you remove the intake screen to access the linkage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFhhe1aJB-M

Remember that the little o-ring is directional.....note which way it was facing as you removed it.

Back