Logo

AQ280 PT trim dilemma...

Walleye4Days

Contributing Member
So, the plastic circle casing mechanism trim sending unit on my late model 280DP-PT was beyond trashed when I got the boat a while back. I've ran without it for a good couple seasons becaus I can never find one that's affordable to replace it (WHY vp decided to make that thing out of plastic AND mount it the way they did is beyond me).

So, I'm trying to find any other ways to create a trim response system, without having to fork out crazy cash, for the trim on my drive to send up to any trim guage at all, just for piece of mind and to hopefully once and for all finally have everything on the boat working properly and in good shape. Does anyone have any good suggestions, advice, or a good workaround for this problem?

1984 Sportcraft Fisherman Hardtop
VP 305/5.0
280DP-PT

I'm pretty decently mechanically inclined and have a great deal of experience with building/rebuilding/self-modifying solutions/etc on years upon years of automotive stuff and just got into marine areas 4yrs ago buying my first boat. However, when it comes to electric, I can usually do the work, but I just can't figure it out and come up with solutions like I normally could, and end up needing direction on what to do and how it operates etc. I just don't get electric all that well, aside from making a simple circuit on a switch (much like we're all taught in grade school, hehe) that's my knowledge on electronics.

Well.... If you REALLY want to try to hack this... It is fairly likely that the trim meter on the helm is electrically similar to all the other gauges on the dash, that said:
Buy yourself a fuel sender. Make sure it is one of the old school 2 wire ones. With the boat out of the water, wire the sender to the two wires that went to the trim sensor on the drive. Turn ignition on and see if gauge on dash follows the movement of the fuel sender float arm. If it does "all" you have to do is figure out how to adapt the fuel sender to be a drive tilt sensor... and a "waterproof", i.e water resistant, one at that.

Well.... If you REALLY want to try to hack this... It is fairly likely that the trim meter on the helm is electrically similar to all the other gauges on the dash, that said:
Buy yourself a fuel sender. Make sure it is one of the old school 2 wire ones. With the boat out of the water, wire the sender to the two wires that went to the trim sensor on the drive. Turn ignition on and see if gauge on dash follows the movement of the fuel sender float arm. If it does "all" you have to do is figure out how to adapt the fuel sender to be a drive tilt sensor... and a "waterproof", i.e water resistant, one at that.

You know, I never even considered that! I can definitely put together a good rig with thre basics of that. Perfect. Thanks for the idea!

I looked for universal trim sending units all over, thinking it'd be a market that many people would desire/need. But, I haven't been able to find anything.

I mean, you'd think that SOMEONE has created a universal kit. But, I just can't find any.

have you considered making it mechanical? a control cable attached to the drive to a control mechanism in/on the dash Formula uses mechanical cables for the trim planes to indicators at the dash
cbme5v_a.jpg

Last edited:
have you considered making it mechanical? a control cable attached to the drive to a control mechanism in/on the dash Formula uses mechanical cables for the trim planes to indicators at the dash
cbme5v_a.jpg

You know, that would work just the same. I think that's pretty much kinda what I had in mind of doing. Im just having trouble finding an analog style trim sensor to be able to rig up.

I may just have to find a sensor & guage pair, then do what you're suggesting with a cable attached to the drive that operates the sensor inside. The original (existing but demolished) sensor is operated by a little cable as is that is incorporated through the transom shield and runs into a plastic sending unit that's also bolted to the inside portion of the transom housing assembly. So, maybe using that existing cable to operate some sort of analog sensor, then just wiring it up would work.

I have the same outdrive, PT, with the trim rams.

I know this doesn't help much, but where did your cable hook up off the sending unit on the drive?

Back