Logo

2009 BF115 #1 cylinder issue

burmbuster

Had the number 3 injector fail a few years back. This time the symptoms were identical. I left it running and unplugged the #1 injector and nothing changed. Still rough idle. It also lost over 1300 RPM. So I ordered a injector and installed it. Nothing changed. Checked that I had fire from the spark plug cable. Pulled the plug. It was a perfect tan in color. It smells like it running rich which is a little different from when the #3 went out. Checked continuity from the ECM plug to the injector connector. Its good. I attempted to check voltage at the injector wire connector while running and did not read anything, however I unplugged another injector thats working and couldn't read anything from that connector either. True RMS Fluke meter being used.

ECM? Any ideas? Any way to pull codes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Compression?Spark plug? Water on the spark plug? Injectors very rarely fail. To test injector pulse you need a noid light.

So...you say it ...."lost 1300 rpm"....
When? Right after you unplugged the injector?

If that's the case, you were doing what is called a , "Cylinder Contribution test" on that cylinder and the result was that it IS firing and contributing power.

Are you positive the fault is with #1 cylinder?

If not, you may want to try unplugging the other injectors, one at a time, and see how each is "contributing".

Good luck.

So...you say it ...."lost 1300 rpm"....
When? Right after you unplugged the injector?

If that's the case, you were doing what is called a , "Cylinder Contribution test" on that cylinder and the result was that it IS firing and contributing power.

Are you positive the fault is with #1 cylinder?

If not, you may want to try unplugging the other injectors, one at a time, and see how each is "contributing".

Good luck.

lost it at speed on the way in after it initially happened.
I have run a compression check. 135 pounds.
I can unplug the other injector wire connectors and it affects the engine. Unplugging the number 1 cylinder does not. Getting 12v at the injector. Swapped injectors as well. No dice. I can also feel the injector pulsing so the injector is good. Getting spark too

Compression is no good, should be close to 200psi. It will not fire at 135psi. You will need to investigate that further

Yep...135 compression is pretty low. It might fire with that but it's probably not wanting to.

When you do the test, do you have all plugs removed? Are you holding the throttle wide open? Both are required for getting accurate readings. If you are doing the test properly then 135 indicates that you have a lot of leakage.

Good luck.

Yep...135 compression is pretty low. It might fire with that but it's probably not wanting to.

When you do the test, do you have all plugs removed? Are you holding the throttle wide open? Both are required for getting accurate readings. If you are doing the test properly then 135 indicates that you have a lot of leakage.

Good luck.
well that’s good to know because I simply pulled the #1 plug and bumped it over. I will try again tomorrow and also compare it to another cylinder. Thanks for letting me know. Never heard of checking compression that way

Well, again, all plugs out....throttle wide open....and a fully charged, healthy battery to spin the engine as rapidly as possible will get you an accurate assessment of how efficient an air pump your engine is.

It's all about pumping air.

And, you should check all three so that you can compare them to one another. A difference of 10% for any one cylinder will indicate excessive wear there and an imbalance in how the engine will want to run.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Ok, gang. Complete the compression test and here is what I found. Remember, the #1 cylinder is the issue.
#1 Cylinder- 165
#2 Cylinder- 155
#3 Cylinder- 165
#4 Cylinder- 180
Motor has less than 300 hrs on the clock

I also can't seem to locate a good part number for the low fuel pressure filter. I don't even see it in the diagrams that I have looked at. Any idea? Serial number BZBD-1801657

Thanks

Filter 16911-ZY3-010 and you will need the oring 16078-ZY3-000. I don't believe this is your problem, try swopping the ignition coils and see if the miss firing cylinder changes with with the lead. It's a bit of messing around but can be done.BTW have you tried new spark plugs ?

Filter 16911-ZY3-010 and you will need the oring 16078-ZY3-000. I don't believe this is your problem, try swopping the ignition coils and see if the miss firing cylinder changes with with the lead. It's a bit of messing around but can be done.BTW have you tried new spark plugs ?
Thanks for that. I will try it momentarily. New plugs since last year and they all look perfect, as far as burn. Nice coco color.

Update. Thanks to iang6766 for the advice and direction. #1 coil pack is bad. I swapped them and the issue moved to #2. Ordered one and hopefully that will do it.

It'll be a sparkplug issue, you said No1 was darker than the others. If you don't want to buy plugs, swop No1 to another cyl and see if it follows, I bet it does

I swapped the plugs around before I swapped the spark plug ignition pack. So the old number one plug wire was then on the number two plug. The issue moved with ignition pack. Old number 1 spark plug was in number 3.

I am not with you, do you mean ignition coil? A coil can fail on one cylinder, is this what you think? If so replace the offending coil

Well, its back to the drawing board. I replaced the ignition coil pack feeding plugs 1 & 4. It runs smoother, yet still has a rough idle. It also pegs out at 5000 RPM and takes forever to get there. Heavy smell of fuel is also apparent. It acts like its trying to clear up once in awhile when idling or running as the motor surges and smoothes out for one second. If I smell fuel could it be the ECM causing the dumping too much fuel? O2 sensor? Low speed pump? At a loss here.

Got the plugs in today. Swapped them all out and bingo. You were correct. I guess water killed it as sometimes it was firing and sometimes not. Thanks again for the help!

Back