Logo

Wiring question

CoastalNC

Bought a Carolina Skiff 3 years ago. Had the dealer set me up with a 24v battery and charging system for a future TM. Just getting around now to installing a TM (Minn Kota Terrova). Was very surprised to find that the boat side plug is a male type plug. This seems very dangerous to me to have a hot male plug. I can imagine a curious kid lifting the cover and getting zapped. Any reason it might have been done this way? I'm strongly considering switching it out for a female plug. Thanks!

Bought a Carolina Skiff 3 years ago. Had the dealer set me up with a 24v battery and charging system for a future TM. Just getting around now to installing a TM (Minn Kota Terrova). Was very surprised to find that the boat side plug is a male type plug. This seems very dangerous to me to have a hot male plug. I can imagine a curious kid lifting the cover and getting zapped. Any reason it might have been done this way? I'm strongly considering switching it out for a female plug. Thanks!

A quick Google search answered my question. Short answer is no, it's not dangerous:

https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/threads/is-24v-ac-dangerous.289004/

Back