Logo

Shifter Issues

BIG A

I dropped my lower unit and replaced my Water Pump on my 2009 Evinrude E Tec, now the shifter is locked up. Any advise would be appreciated. I have a 90 HP.

Last edited:
Maybe I should say from the control box it will not move forward to put the motor in forward. I don't want to force it any harder than I have.

I had to cut the aluminum clip that the shifter shaft because the stainless pin froze into the aluminum and the head broke off. I bought a new one for $38 and it looks like it can only go back on one way?

It goes into neutral and reverse. I can feel it by turning the prop with my hand. I haven't tried to start it but will do so first thi g in the AM.

I have been doing a lot of research and read many articles about the shift rod being placed at the proper length. The issues created by the wrong length appear to match what I am experiencing? I would drop the lower unit again and check it, however where can I find information on the proper shift rod length? I have a 2007, E Tech Model E90DSLSCM. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

So are you saying you replaced the shift rod? I struggled with my '96 150 several years ago and found I had the incorrect length shift rod in my lower unit. A previous owner had replaced the lower unit from a different model 150 that used a rod that was 1/2" longer than mine.

I borrowed the information below, but I think it should be correct if your engine is a 20" shaft:
Model Type Height
20 in. (L)
“L”
“L2”
“M”
“M2”
21 29/32 in.
(21.906 in./ 556 mm)
± 1/2 Half Turn

This video shows you how to make a shift rod height measuring tool.
https://youtu.be/aBNZ_gMh5RQ

Back