Logo

What Amp Stator Does my 150 Mercury have?

pamlicopanther

Hello.

I have a 1991 Mercury 150 Black Max that I have determined has a bad stator. The parts list shows a 16 Amp stator and a 40 amp stator. I am assuming that once I pull the flywheel I will be able to get the specific part number to see which I have. I just ordered a flywheel puller so I can pull the flywheel. It will not be here for a few days. I would like to be able to go ahead and order the stator to have, but I am not sure which I have and will not be able to tell until I can pull the flywheel.

So, is there a way to know for sure which stator I have so I can go ahead and order it or do I have to pull the flywheel to know for sure.

Thanks for any help.

If a 1991 it should have the big water cooled 40 amp unit between the cylinders..Make sure stator is bad as this thing is 5 bills. What makes you think stator is bad????

If a 1991 it should have the big water cooled 40 amp unit between the cylinders..Make sure stator is bad as this thing is 5 bills. What makes you think stator is bad????

My engine started not cranking this past weekend and I started troubleshooting by checking the fire. No fire on right side. I did the diagnosis where you disconnect and switch the red/red and white and the blue/ blue and white wires from the 2 switch boxes. After doing this the right side now had fire and the left side had no fire. The way I understand this procedure is that this means the stator is bad.

I think I have figured it out. It looking closer at the parts description it references 2 other parts. One is the flywheel cover and the other is the flywheel. It does not show a picture, however when I do a google search it shows the referenced flywheel and cover. The parts referenced for needing the 16 amp are the same flywheel and cover that I have. So, I am certain I have the 16 amp stator.

If you have a 16amp system follow the 2 yellows wire to rectifier..if smalll square 3 terminal box above switchboxes its a 16amp.

Back