Logo

O/b temperature

Rwbutler

Advanced Contributor
If an outboard has a operating temp range of 143-185 f. And the temp horn/light is activated at 211 f. Is the motor running not at 204f.?

Please explain in some detail why you are asking this question.------Cooling system in an outboard is NOT pressurized.----In say a 100 HP outboard how long do you think it would run with a complete loss of cooling water.---Say at full throttle when a plastic bag stopped water to the pump.

Racer : just looking to see who answered what. And I'm sorry but let's keep it mounted for now.
Timguy: I would hope that thermostat would be wide open.I
Looking for more comments and or answers.

Racer I'm sorry I forgot to answer your guestion. A mounted 100 (v4 cross)will run 12minutes at idle,with no water before no horn.

How long will it run at full throttle / pushing the boat if cooling water supply to the engine was lost ??----I am not interested at idle speeds.

?----not at 204f-------or----- hot at 204f----Explain
I am waiting also....a LOT of wide open area. Depends incoming water temp,RPM, T-stat/poppet condition,fresh or brackish water,condition of impeller, RPM, etc,etc

If you are reading 204f on a motor cylinder head you need to take action immediately.-------If the water is NEAR the boiling point depending on elevation then there are metal surfaces that are ABOVE the boiling point !

Back