Logo

trouble shooting 25 hp evinrude

WRJ

1986 rude 25 hp. It idles well but stalls when trying to rev it up. Any advice? I ordered a carb and a fuel pump rebuild kits.

thanks

How long was it stored? Did it have fuel with ethanol in it? Make sure the fuel jets/passageways are physically cleaned open to the correct opening size. Often times even though they "look" open, or air can pass through, they are still partially restricted. Get yourself a welding tip cleaner tool, they are cheap, and clean with the largest size that fits snuggly in the opening.....while using a good quality carburator cleaner. I like CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. It dissolves deposits quite easily.....it's strong. Avoid getting on your skin or even some plastics. I am working on a Yamaha later today that was stored for 10 years, it is going to get the aforementioned treatment, along with a hydrochloric acid cleaning of the fuel tank.

Last edited:
How long was it stored? Did it have fuel with ethanol in it? Make sure the fuel jets/passageways are physically cleaned open to the correct opening size. Often times even though they "look" open, or air can pass through, they are still partially restricted. Get yourself a welding tip cleaner tool, they are cheap, and clean with the largest size that fits snuggly in the opening.....while using a good quality carburator cleaner. I like CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. It dissolves deposits quite easily.....it's strong. Avoid getting on your skin or even some plastics. I am working on a Yamaha later today that was stored for 10 years, it is going to get the aforementioned treatment, along with a hydrochloric acid cleaning of the fuel tank.

I found this stuff years ago and I like it better than any of the sprays.

Berryman Chemtool

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...-dip-carburetor-parts-cleaner-96oz/139313_0_0

I have done dozens of carbs over the years and countless parts with excellent results and no appreciable breakdown in effectiveness.

Simply disassemble the carb and soak for 3 to 24hrs depending on how bad the gum buildup is. A small brush and or torch tip cleaners as mentioned above can be used if you desire for faster action.

I prefer to soak as you can shake and or tumble the carb parts in this and it will get behind the welch plugs and on both sides of the tiniest passages in most cases. You will say there will still be air pockets and I will tell you it will creep over all surfaces without trouble.

It is not to be used with rubber gaskets, plastic, or cork bowl floats.

Last edited:
Thank for tips. It ran great last year. Sat outside in shed over winter. Will report back after carb and fuel pump kit show up.

Rebuilt carb and fuel pump. Tried today. Fast idle, can't back it down. Runs at low speed but dies out if I try to accelerate.
Time for me to find a mechanic.
Thanks for the input.

Finally!!!!!!! The gasket for the high speed jet gasket was bad. All better.

I am having exactly the same trouble with a 1999 25hp Johnson.You may have solved my problem,thanks.
I stripped and cleaned the carb,set the float height,cleaned all the jets.I've sent for a new carb kit.

Back