Logo

1986 Johnson 9.9 no spark

Gpeade

Hello everyone. I'm new here but I need some help if anyone can. As the title says I have Johnson 9.9 no spark. I'll try to keep this post from becomming a book but I want to provide all the info I can. Motor hasn't been run in probably 5-6 years but prior to that it ran no problem. When I stored it I fogged everything and had treated ethenol free fuel in the carbs. It has been stored inside those 6 years. Pulled it out the other day to use again and after a few pulls it fired right up like always. It cut off once or twice cause it was still cold but fired back up. It ran about long enough to warm up enough to stay running on it's own and take throttle. Then it cut off like I pushed the kill switch and hasn't fired since. I have installed new plugs and placed fuel in the carb throat as well as in each cylinder and nothing. Pulled plugs and spun the motor with a drill and no spark at all. Using a downloaded service manual (and to the best of my knowledge)I have checked the ignition coils, plug wires, a couple other things through the 5 pin plug. Sorry I can't remember the exact names of all the items. Checked the kill switch circuit first. As far as testing I am down to the point of needing a DVA adapter, which I don't have, to check the charge coil. From my little knowledge and reading and testing I am down to either the charge coil or power pack. I can buy a charge coil for the same or less money than the DVA adapter so I'm tempted to buy one and just put it on there. I have not yet pulled the flywheel to visibly look at things under there but going to do so tonight. Just curious if there is any other tricks, test, or and info someone else may have that will help me. This is a rope start model. #J10RCDB
In my research, I found on ebay, the complete ignition component set for $120. Granted it's used but everything is there and stated to work. Both coils, wires, powerpack, armator plate, sersor and charge coil. Even comes with all the screws and wire clamps. I'm tempted to just buy that but I hate to waste money on something I don't need.
Thanks in advance for the help.

My bet is on the powerpack.----The stuff under the flywheel is fairly reliable.-----Or test the sensor and charge coil with an ohmmeter.----Flywheel does not need to be removed for that.

I know I tested the sensor with an ohm meter and I believe the charge coil also and those tests were good. My next steps according to the manual was testing with the m-80 tester and a DVA tester. Neither of which I have. I would have to look at my notes to verify 100% that I ohmed the charge coil but those papers are at home.

On a scale of things and cost of shop labor these powerpacks are cheap.-----New one at authorized dealer where you are a regular customer comes with warranty I believe.

I have noticed the same symptoms with stored motors at camp. They will start in the spring......then run a short time, then loose spark with not even a hickup........powerpack. Some new designs have improvements. If it's my personal motor I usually go brand new.....why? Likely gonna last longer.

Ordered a new OEM part from this website. Found a few a little cheaper but I went with purchasing here to support the page. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Ordered a new OEM part from this website. Found a few a little cheaper but I went with purchasing here to support the page. I'll let ya'll know what happens.
Did you check the ground for the power pack for continuity to the block?I lost all spark because of that and almost bought a power pack .Glad I checked the ground first.

I did not specifically check the ground to block but I did remove it and clean both the wire lug and bloct where it meets with no change. New part will be here today anyway. Here's hoping!

This is why I use/sell Sierra parts...

Sierra Customer Satisfaction Warranty (Professional Installer)
Limited Warranty (to include Sierra, Shields and Instrumentation Product Groups):
SIERRA INTERNATIONAL INC. (“SIERRA”) warrants its products to be free of defects in workmanship and materials for the useful life of the product (the “Warranty”). If a SIERRA product fails to comply with the Warranty, SIERRA will repair or replace the defective product free of charge. The Warranty is subject to the additional terms, conditions and limitations set forth below.
Warranty Claims for Professionally Installed Products:
For any SIERRA product that was originally installed on a vessel by a dealer or other professional installer that fails to comply with the Warranty, in addition to repairing or replacing the product free of charge, SIERRA will also reimburse the customer for reasonable labor charges incurred to replace the product, and reasonable towing and other similar incidental expenses incurred as a result of the failure of the product to comply with the Warranty. Labor will be calculated based on the installer’s posted shop rate that is competitive with their local market rates. The original work order along with the original invoice and a copy of the new re-work order must be provided to SIERRA to file a claim for reimbursement of labor expenses. Towing charges will also be paid based on reasonable and customary rates in the local trading area. A copy of the original invoice for the towing service must be provided to SIERRA to file a claim for reimbursement of towing expenses.
ALL PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER WARRANTY CLAIMS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE

She runs like a top again. Thanks for all the help and advise!!!
Yall probably saved me a couple hundred bucks by being able to fix it myself.

Back