Logo

75HP 2 stroke ELPTO 2010 lower unit remove & instal question about forward or neutral

gboy99

I haven't done this before so I want to get it right before I start. Have watched lots of videos, read this forum and now I have what seems a contradiction in the service Mercury manual

The Mercury service manual states:

Disassembly of Lower Unit
Shift engine into forward gear - OK

Assembly

Position shift block in forward gear position - OK
Shift gear housing into neutral position. Propeller shaft will rotate freely in either direction. -Why back into neutral? Is it to allow installation of new water pump impeller in housing? Do I do this by turning the shift shaft end on lower unit?

Then later during installation it says:

Shift gear housing into forward gear position. In forward gear the gear housing will ratchet when propeller shaft is turned clockwise and resistance will be felt when propeller shaft is rotated counterclockwise

NOTE: If, while performing Step 11, the drive shaft splines will not align with the crankshaft splines, place
a propeller onto propeller shaft and turn it counterclockwise as the gear housing is being pushed toward
drive shaft housing -But if in forward gear how can I turn it counterclockwise?

Can anyone help?

This issue comes up all the time.---Yes you can turn the prop CCW to turn the driveshaft.-------Instead of trying to turn the prop on assembly just have an assistant ready to turn the flywheel ever so slowly to engage the splines.-----After you have done this job you will say ----" that was easy "--------The key for assembly here is that the shift lever has to be confirmed to be the same as the lower unit !!!!----Both in forward.----Both in neutral.----Or both in reverse.------If you remove the lower unit in neutral the spring loaded clutch dog often will jump into forward when you are not looking.-----That occurs in half a second and will cause the problems.------Think this over and it will be EASY.

Thanks racerone. That all makes sense. So when manual states to shift gear housing to neutral then back to forward gear is that purely to ‘confirm’ shift lever is in correct position I.e. to match the forward gear position at control box?
BTW - I will do this alone so rotating prop to align splines is my only option.

No it is not !----I do this work alone.----Not as easy as it used to be.-----When lower unit is about and inch away and it won't slide together you reach up and turn the flywheel a wee bit.

Back