Logo

2005 50 HP EFI 4 Stroke F50TLR Overheat Alarm No water flow out of Upper water outlet alarms 5min

JeffMfishing

Last fall when winterizing my motor and running gas out of the system I noticed that the top water outlet jet was not running. I watched the motor and did not let it overheat. Motor was running at idle. I shut it down and blow compressed air, low pressure, 10 psi through the upper water exit hoses. No blockage found. I could hear air blowing into the lower housing. Only ran the motor at idle. Tried both the upper flush connection and lower ear muff with no difference. After letting motor cool down, I was able to get all the gas out of the system on the second try just as alarm was going off again. I had a mud wasp build in the upper water outlet once but was easily cleaned and water ran without issue during early summer fishing trip. Never had this issue before. I see on water pump replacement video that water should flow out top of engine water outlet even if motor is not running. That is not the case I have right now. The water pump is original so I'm sure it needs to be replaced. Also read on this thread, that with lower unit removed. I could remove the thermostat and pure water from the top down and see if anything is clogging the water pipe going down to the water pump. Is this worth trying? Don't want to replace the water pump and still have an issue. Looking for anything else to check while doing the water pump. I checked all the water lines from the upper flusher on both sides of the motor and did not see an issue. I did not have any issues from my last trip out in June. Then was unable to use the boat the rest of the summer. Ran into the issue in October when putting away for the winter. Boat was out of the water on a trailer.

Plan on doing this work in a few weeks when it warms up around Mid April.

Jeff

Cabinlong, thanks for the reply. Found this from an associated thread.
Water tube inserted properly? Impeller in backwards...vanes in pointing wrong direction?
If you pour water in from the top of motor from thermostate and it comes out water tube, then sounds like water pump vanes not in right direction. Fo this check with lower unit off. I ordered my parts they will be here next week. Boat at my dads out of state so hopefully I can get to it with all the quarantine going on. Let me know how you make out.

Cabinlong, thanks for the reply. Found this from an associated thread.
Water tube inserted properly? Impeller in backwards...vanes in pointing wrong direction?
If you pour water in from the top of motor from thermostate and it comes out water tube, then sounds like water pump vanes not in right direction. Fo this check with lower unit off. I ordered my parts they will be here next week. Boat at my dads out of state so hopefully I can get to it with all the quarantine going on. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the info. I also read last night that if you put the muffs on the lower unit, and disconnect the water tub at the thermostat, run the motor, if water d flows out of the tube from the lower unit youve at least eliminated a blockage issue in the lower unit. I just had new impellars installed last summer but also had another electrical issue so couldnt really get to this issue yet. Not sure if the guy knew what he was doing. Impossible to find good marine labor in the summer here

Thanks Cabinlong, its been a long summer without the boat. I wasn't able to work on until end of July. Another story. Once I got the lower unit apart, I found out I had a damaged water pump housing. When impeller failed it must have got so hot it melted the plastic housing. So had to wait 3 plus weeks for new housing. Covid is killing us getting parts. Now I have motor back together and not starting. Also still do not see water coming out exit stream. Thinking motor has to be running for this. I will take your advise on checking at thermostat as well. going ot start a new thread on new issue.

Back