Logo

VP 280 PT Trim Motor Problems

Hey all!

Over the months I've been able to get a lot of stuff reworked on my 280 with power trim. Cheers to Ricardo with all of his knowledge.

I'm stuck with a bad trim motor, its original to the package and has what looks like a prestolite motor, that has an open cap at one end, where the shaft of the armature goes into the pump and oil well assembly.

Any idea if there's a suitable replacement motor that crosses over to this trim motor assembly? Am I going to have to rewind it? The armature has been repaired so many times that it works only intermittently now.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, the 280 PT OEM parts are no longer available. I'm not able to find a p/n for the entire pump, let alone the motor itself.

You may be able to retrofit one of the later pumps.
If the threads are not the same, a good hydraulic hose company may be able to install the correct line fittings onto your hoses.

trm0023-1.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRIM-M...aJeVhrp:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!97030!US!-1

Here is one with a few adapters.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TILT-T...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I was looking at a couple of these.

Was hoping it wouldn't come down to a different motor/pump assembly.

I have a couple calls out for armature winding/parts so I'll have to see where this goes.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll probably look into the one with the adapters if I can't get anywhere. The sad thing is the rest of the pump/relays, etc are in amazing shape, no corrosion etc..

Unfortunately, the 280 PT OEM parts are no longer available. I'm not able to find a p/n for the entire pump, let alone the motor itself.

You may be able to retrofit one of the later pumps.
If the threads are not the same, a good hydraulic hose company may be able to install the correct line fittings onto your hoses.

Super good news.

I did a bunch of research, and found that the trim pump used on the aq280pt variants is common with a lot of mid 70s to early 80s Mercruiser stuff. The motor and reservior was very popular, and the variation was in the pump that bolts to the bottom of the reservior.

Arco makes a current production replacement, model 6217. They also sell the motor shaft adapter for use in setups that require the longer motor shaft. I found a rebadged one on Amazon for 114$ Keep in mind this is only the motor and reservior assembly, no pump block on the bottom.

I should be receiving mine by Saturday, and I'll test it out.

I have everything installed, and wired in. If anyone uses this replacement motor/reservior, make sure to pre tap the screw holes into the housing, it's easy to crack the plastic if the screw is too big.
20200415-204041.jpg

Back