Logo

Bogging problem

DavLed

I have a 99 Johnson 60hp model J60PLEEB on a 20ft Lowe's Pontoon. It has started bogging out at full throttle but is getting worse. I can give it the throttle and it will be fine for 2 or 3 minutes at 6 1/2 rpms to 7 rpms then it will start bogging out until I can only run it at 2000rpm. It set for a while before I bought it last year had the carburetors rebuilt last year and I only run 93 octane non ethanol fuel in it since I've had it. I ran it all winter doing grafting so it didn't set this year. I've replaced the fuel pickup anti siphon valve and primer bulb trying to fix this problem. I have ordered a timer base and 3 more carb kits from MarineEngine.com. It starts and idles fine the carbs seem to be wet on the outside of them. Someone told me that that the bowls on the carbs are different and not to mix them up I had the carbs built like I said I'm just wondering if my mechanic got them mixed up causing this problem. If so how do I get the right bowl back on the right carb. Or if it is the timer base going bad as it gets hot I have video of it doing the bogging on my phone if it will help fix this problem. Any help will be appreciated have checked compression it's all good. Also when it's doing the the bogging if I hit the choke/primer solenoid it has no effect on it but if just idling it will kill the motor. I all so pulled the plug wires off the plugs while idling one at a time you could tell a difference in the idle and hear fire jumping so I don't think it's the power pack

Last edited:
Stop !.-----Guessing and experimenting , replacing parts is expensive.-----Do a compression test first and post your numbers.----Are you saying this motor is running at 6500 to 7000 RPM ????----If so that is a huge concern.-----Motor might be king into S.L.O.W. mode.---Stop thinking that cabutretor bowls are the problem as they are all the same / work the same !!-----Perhaps the motor is mounted too high.----What pitch prop is on this motor ?

I have a 99 Johnson 60hp model J60PLEEB on a 20ft Lowe's Pontoon. It has started bogging out at full throttle but is getting worse. I can give it the throttle and it will be fine for 2 or 3 minutes at 6 1/2 rpms to 7 rpms then it will start bogging out until I can only run it at 2000rpm. It set for a while before I bought it last year had the carburetors rebuilt last year and I only run 93 octane non ethanol fuel in it since I've had it. I ran it all winter doing grafting so it didn't set this year. I've replaced the fuel pickup anti siphon valve and primer bulb trying to fix this problem. I have ordered a timer base and 3 more carb kits from MarineEngine.com. It starts and idles fine the carbs seem to be wet on the outside of them. Someone told me that that the bowls on the carbs are different and not to mix them up I had the carbs built like I said I'm just wondering if my mechanic got them mixed up causing this problem. If so how do I get the right bowl back on the right carb. Or if it is the timer base going bad as it gets hot I have video of it doing the bogging on my phone if it will help fix this problem. Any help will be appreciated have checked compression it's all good. Also when it's doing the the bogging if I hit the choke/primer solenoid it has no effect on it but if just idling it will kill the motor. I all so pulled the plug wires off the plugs while idling one at a time you could tell a difference in the idle and hear fire jumping so I don't think it's the power pack
Try another gas tank and hose

Back