Logo

Bearing housing shim

Dac1203

So I have a Johnson 200 hp J200vxsss, while I had the lower unit off for water pump replacement I decided I probably should change the drive shaft bearing seal, when I removed the bearing housing I noticed the bearing housing shim was worn through and needs to be replaced, problem is the exploded view shows two shims, and the parts list lists 3 shims .003,.004,.005 witch one or two do in need, please help

Facts for you.----Likely not what you want to hear.------The correct shims are determined with a factory shimming tool.---I have that tool kit.-----It is not something you guess at.-----It involves removing the driveshaft and shimming determines the correct position of the pinion gear.----This ensures long gear life.----But the damaged shims may indicate something wrong already.--I would take the thing apart !!--Or you could just put some shims in and hope that the lower unit does not go BOOM.----Not what you wanted to hear I think.

So now the question becomes, how bad and how long? If it has been runnng any length of time with improper shimming, there is real danger that the gear teeth are already worn. A couple of thousandths of an inch are significant, or they wouldn't have specified such precise tolerances.

Back