Logo

Help with clogged carbureator passage

KA9J

I'm working on a 2002 Yamaha 9.9ELHA (9.9HP) carburetor that's been clogged up with crud from gasoline. I opened up the clogged passages that I'd found and tried to test run the motor. I had a gas leak from the bottom of the carb. so I replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm and tried to test run it again. It was rough to get started, but after getting it runing it ran great. It was real lean when I tried to start it cold, so I checked the accelerator pump output.....none. I took it back apart and found that the discharge tube was plugged. I've been trying to clean out that passage but no luck. I even tried to rod it out with a .009" thick piece of stainless steel wire except I can't get the wire to push through the discharge hole. Any ideas on what I can use to clean out this passage? I've tried to unscrew the passage and that'd give me a better angle to push through from the outside end, but I can''t budge the discharge tube from the carb. body.

In the picture of the carb throat, the accelerator pump passage is the first brass piece and the clog is at the very end of the tube.
The second picture shows the bottom of the passage with the screw driver slot. The exit of the tube is no where as big as the passage is here. It appears that it's just drilled with an extremely small opening at the other end.
20200327_144902_ecd6515b2ad420d6e662ccf79ab36fc916921be5.jpg

20200327_144916_3e684bc7ab1d282f584a805f836ad6bd1d3d4a0e.jpg

Back