Logo

85hp force shift problems

Jrol

Project boat, have cables installed but the shifter will not move into forward or reverse. Even if I remove the cable from the motor end the lever that pulls and pushes the shift rod won’t move far enough up to go into gear but moves far enough down to go into gear. Any help would be appreciated

The seal on the shift rod:#1, try lubing it as you pull/ push as you try going into gear.
You need to turn the prop as you shift, if not the dog/gears won't mesh and won't go into gear.
#2 replace the seal on the shift rod, make sure the surface is clean, corrosion builds up under the seal and causes pressure
on the shift rod.
#3 check for rust, corrosion in the gear housing.
#4 there's 2 nuts on the top of the shift rod(under the carb) they can be adjusted for length of travel. The air intake has 4 tiny screws, remove the intake and it's a lot easier to access the double nut.
Good luck and welcome to the site.

The seal on the shift rod:#1, try lubing it as you pull/ push as you try going into gear.
You need to turn the prop as you shift, if not the dog/gears won't mesh and won't go into gear.
#2 replace the seal on the shift rod, make sure the surface is clean, corrosion builds up under the seal and causes pressure
on the shift rod.
#3 check for rust, corrosion in the gear housing.
#4 there's 2 nuts on the top of the shift rod(under the carb) they can be adjusted for length of travel. The air intake has 4 tiny screws, remove the intake and it's a lot easier to access the double nut.
Good luck and welcome to the site.
I can move the shift rod up and down and get it in gear, but the shift mechanism between the cable and the shift rod won’t travel far enough to match the rod movement needed. Seems if I adjust to where it will pull the shift rod up far enough to engage the gear. It won’t let it push the shift rod down far enough to engage the opposing gear,

Last edited:
Tach and stuff 003.jpgAre you turning the prop shaft as you try to shift?
It has to be moving, like it's running to shift in gear.

That not help? then the #4 with the 2 nuts on the shift rod need to be adjusted.

Did you move/unscrew the shift rod going to the lower?
It gets screwed in till it just touches and then back out to line up the holes for the connector.
Don't unscrew the rod or you'll need to take the cover off and reassemble.

You remove the screw (see pic)on the side of the nose cone?
That will require the shift rod assy to be reassembled.

Make sure the gear shaft is screwed in all the way .pull the gear shaft all the way up then make a mark on the shaft level with the gear box where it comes out. then push the shaft all the way in then make another mark , at all times make sure it has en gauged into gear when you make these marks .then between the 2 marks in the center make another mark this will be the center between the 2 marks ,then adjust the nuts until the center mark is lined level with the gear box wear the shaft comes out , this will then be your neutral position . after you have done this and it still doesnt select reverse eliminate the play in the linkages i had the same problem and now its fixed.

Back