Logo

Stiff throttle cable in remote control, no fast idle

coteno47

My throtle cable is sqeeze with the electric wire when I install the bottom cover plate of the remote control.
The fast idle level dont lift completely up, and dont engage RPM.

Is this a bad installation of the throttle cable ou the electric wire?

I wonder if it would be better to place the electric wire in between the shift cable and the throttl cable.
Your advice please

Mercery 2008 4 stroke 60hp.

Remote control 2.jpg

After more research on Youtube I understand that the electric wire (photo) is part of the trim-tilt harness on top of the main lever.
It goes from the trim-tilt button to under the upper back plate of the remote control. There, 3 bullets connectors attach the trim-tilt harness to the main harness.
Since greasing the throttle cable and the electric wire helped operation of the fast-idle lever, I will not go further for the moment. Afraid of issues if I open the upper back plate (non mecanic guy :confused:)

Since this is a new used (2008) Princecraft boat, I will test operation on the lake.

Still appreciate advice from the pros.

Thank Haventaclue for your contribution.
By greasing the electric harness I gave the fast idle lever a more realistic mouvement, but not perfect, still hard on the last upward lift.
I will try the boat and motor on the lake before doing more troubleshooting.
For my low mecanic hability, It would be easier to re-route the harness inbetween the 2 controls cables or under the 2.
I will give a follow-up if I follow true.

Normand

I need to get stronger glasses.No need to reroute harness.I thought it was jamming between the shift cable and back plate.It's not.You need to remove the rest of the back plate and lube the rest of the mechanism.I think the old grease has hardened.Needs to be cleaned and re greased.

Check if the problem is with the control box, cable or on the motor side !
Disconnect the cables off the motor and move the levers (shift and throttle) by hand.
You will know if the cable needs to be changed, the box needs servicing , or the shift shaft bush is seizing.
(the power trim harness looks correct to me ) as per the manual.
Good luck.

I have much similar remote control, without the electric wire, and i know that fast idle lever dont come all the way up. I need pull it quite hard at the end of the travel the lever moves, and it will engage fast idle. But yes, it feels like it wants to stop moving too early, so i need use little bit force. I am not sure if this is normal or not, but it is been working like this since new. With old Mercontrol, high-idle was never that stiff. My engine is Mercury 20hp 1977.

Last edited:
Back