Logo

93 Johnson 150hp 60deg looper Intermittent spark

MattOW

So I have been struggling with this motor for a long time. I rebuilt carbs, replaced power pack, coils, and spark plugs. It seems to get intermittent spark. So Cylinder 1 will spark for a bit then try again no spark. Move the tester about and all the cylinders seem to act generally the same way.

I have disconnected the main plug to the dash and also the kill line just incase. Repalced Starter, battery, check and polished connection cables but no change. Not sure what to do next. I don't want to keep throwing money and parts at it.

If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate it.

Have you looked at the optical sensor ?------Certainly cheaper than all the other parts.------Hopefully you did not throw away all those parts you replaced.-----Looked at the magnets on the flywheel ?

Is it only #1 with intermittent spark? Check timing wheel for cracks when you check optical. Ground the quick start wire (white/black port temp switch)and recheck spark.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the optical sensor ?------Certainly cheaper than all the other parts.------Hopefully you did not throw away all those parts you replaced.-----Looked at the magnets on the flywheel ?

I have not i guess that's next. I kept pack and coils. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it only #1 with intermittent spark? Check timing wheel for cracks when you check optical. Ground the quick start wire (white/black port temp switch)and recheck spark.

No it's intermittent on all like it sparks a few times then it wont then you come back a while later and it will again.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll checkthose next.

Back