Logo

1984 mercury 50 hp FNR

Qbanredneck

Contributing Member
Hi all. I’ve read tons and tried tons but can’t find similar situation. I’ve tried dropping LU and reinstalling plenty of times, and also moving shift cables and so forth. Not sure when cables last replaced since bought boat recently. All gears worked at first, changed impeller, some lady bumped into boat motor with car ( but don’t see anything bent), the boat ran fine forward n neutral no reverse. Redid LU, took back out, reverse neutral fine but no forward. After numerous times trying different ways I’ve noticed one thing, the shift linkage is very difficult to move to forward position by hand with LU on even with cable disconnected. Once I drop the LU I can move the shift linkage fine to FNR. I’ve put Lu in forward reinstalled. It will shift into neutral and prop spins freely, but then won’t reengage to forward after that. Not sure if even upper shift rod needs adjusting on this model which I have not touched. Hope this makes sense as I’ve written and any help really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frustrating, right? You may not be taking all of the slack out of the lower shifter before stabbing her back up there. Turn the lower cam in the CCW direction.

Jeff

hey Well thanks for the reply...I have reinstalled in reverse before and once it goes to forward and then to
neutral, forward is lost...so if I get you right, turn CCW till you pass the reverse? I have not attempted this before by the way

Stop------When the lower unit is in neutral a slight bump can put it in forward because the clutch dog has a strong spring.------Follow these steps.-----Remove lower unit.----Put control in neutral.------Turn shift shaft CCW till you find neutral ( prop spins freely both ways ) on the lower unit.------Put lower unit in place.----Verify neutral as you push it up and in place.----An assistant may help with slowly turning flywheel to line up splines in crankshaft.-----When you understand the concept it is easy like anything else.----The lower unit likely will be in FORWARD, and as you turn the shift rod CCW you find neutral.----Do not turn more to look for reverse !!

Racerone, thanks for reply, I’ve read posts by you stating this and have reinstalled LU at least 5-6 times trying different FNR, my problem let’s say the prop is in forward, the shift linkage is in forward, I connect, once I put the Control box in neutral, prop spins freely, then when I put back into forward, prop still spins freely...does not engage in forward again...

Fact------The clutch dog is SPRING LOADED so if you have it in neutral and the unit stays in neutral when you move control to forward.-------The issue is that clutch dog is sticky / rusted , what ever.-----Or bring it over as it would be easy to diagnose and fix !!!-----Note---- in forward you may be able to turn the prop CLOCKWISE with clicking but not CCW as it will lock up.

Last edited:
Thanks again, appreciate any answers, I’m sure I have the gears right just not going back to forward gear is got me, I ran it a few times before this happened in water and it all worked, so am confused about how dog would be rusted etc, but hey it’s an old motor, I would like to reiterate that when LU is off I can move shift linkage the whole range of movement but once it’s on I can’t seem to move linkage arm to forward (or what I would think is all the way forward) with shift cable disconnected...so I’ve reinstalled in forward with LU and shift linkage arm (cable disconnected), then connected, moved control box to neutral, arm then doesn’t move back to forward...not sure if this is part of it all or this additional information means something more

Good luck with it.------I guess I have difficulty in explaining how easy this is.-----Last effort by me is to look at your reverse lock cam / linkages on your motor.----I am bailing on this thread.

Well thanks for your time sir, I do follow the advice was just adding to some conditions I’ve noticed on my end, I appreciate the help Racerone

****fixed**** for all those who read this and have similar problem...it was the reverse cam lock that was off a bit, was able to tell by the rod making a small rub on the piece

Back