Logo

No spark Johnson 140!!!! HELP!!

I have a 81 Johnson 140. One whole side of the engine had no spark. I swapped the power packs and the no spark followed to the side with the bad power pack. Replaced it with a new one and thought I’d be good. NOPE! Then I bought another new one for the other side and still the same problem. It always only sparks on one side. I pushed the timing back and voila, both sides of the engine sparked. Does this mean I need a new timing base???? Stator??? I’m kind of lost

Moving the timer base makes it sound like there might be a poor connection or broken wire.----Would be easy to find the problem if I was hands on your motor.

I checked all connections around that area and could not find any lose or corroded connections. What could it be? Would the timing base cause only one side of the engine to spark even with two new power packs?

Bucko, no I didn’t. I replaced the timing base and stator. Now I have spark on both sides but only on one cylinder of each side. Two cylinders diagonal to eachother have no spark. Can’t figure this one out

Since only half my engine is getting spark at a time, could it be my shift interruptor switch???? Does my 81 Johnson 140 even have one??? I checked the shift linkage at the motor side and didn’t see one, am I missing something???

I got it to spark on 3 cylinders. Figured maybe a bad coil. Swapped them around and still was getting no spark on that cylinder. Checked loose wires and everything. Must be the power pack. Going to buy a brand new one, I will let you guys know how it turns out

I got it to spark on 3 cylinders. Figured maybe a bad coil. Swapped them around and still was getting no spark on that cylinder. Checked loose wires and everything. Must be the power pack. Going to buy a brand new one, I will let you guys know how it turns out
What did you do to get spark on three ?

I had an old power pack laying around so I threw it in and I ended up getting spark on 3 cylinders. I think it was a combo of a bad timing base and a bad power pack. New power pack is coming in a couple days so I will keep everyone updated

Back