Logo

Verado compression or leak down test with no lower unit

wheel10

Bought a boat with a motor that has no lower unit. 300 verado pro. Knew this going in. The motor has no oil in it as dropping the lower unit drains the engine oil (according to the sticker on the driveshaft housing). I have my concerns about the motor being any good as well and would like to do either a leak down or compression test on the motor before I spend money on a lower unit.
1-since engine oil drains out the lower unit, can either test be done without the lower unit on? Should be no issue I believe.

2- if it can be done, will bump turning the engine for a compression test without oil be ok? Should I spray a fogging oil in the cylinder first? Would raising the motor to a full horizontal position keep any oil in the crankcase or would it still drain out in that position?

3-if neither test will work do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
No need to drain all the oil when you pull the lower, drain about a quart to minimize the mess.....

Skip the compression test and go right to the leak down. Do not spray oil in the cylinders....

Rotate engine to TDC and hold the crank from turning for each cylinder you are testing, start with zero air pressure and ramp up the pressure for the test. When the pressure is up, slowly let the piston travel down the bore and make sure your leakage number do not change.

I had a Verado that passed leak down at TDC and BDC but failed mid bore... 100% leak.

Thanks guys. Cmon bullet, stay positive lol! If the motor works I saved 20k below retail, if it doesn’t and I have to find a used one 10k under retail. The boat and motor hit a rock which scraped the center toon all cosmetic below water and took out the lower unit. I have reason to believe the power head is still good but we’ll see.

Back