Logo

1973 Johnson 50hp No Spark

Drftwood

Hi Everybody, I have a 1973 Johnson 50hp 50ESL73R. After many years of great service, the motor started running rough and was really hard to start. After much help from Marine Engine, this forum, and my Clymer manual, I decided the gooey substance on top of the block was coming from the stator. I performed some troubleshooting as stated in the manual and confirmed the stator was bad. Since I tend to ride many miles from home along the ICW and various creeks, I decided I would go ahead and replace every major electrical component on the engine. Of course before proceeding, I validated the engine was still producing good compression. Both cylinders have about 140psig. To date, I have replaced the stator (CDI), timer sensor (CDI), Power Pack (OEM), rectifier (CDI), starter (ARCO), solenoid (ARCO), both coils (OEM), both spark plugs (Champion QL77JC4 gapped to 0.040) and a fresh Group 24 625CCA 90Amp-hr battery. Much to my dismay, when I turned the key, the motor happily turned over but did not fire. I checked for spark to validate the 7/16" gap jump and did not find any. I disconnected the safety from the Power Pack and tried again without success. I then went straight to the stator and checked the output with my AMM. I connected the AMM to the brown wire and engine ground (off the Power Pack). While turning the motor over, the AMM showed about 50VAC. I am puzzled. The flywheel is clean. The magnets look good (no cracks). I was thinking perhaps weak magnets, but several threads on here suggest that's not a possibility. Any help identifying a solution will be most appreciated.

Does AMM mean Analog Multi Meter? That is not a valid test. You need a DVA meter. Go to the CDI website for troubleshooting instructions. Magnets are NOT the problem.

I applaud your efforts to replace everything, but you just discovered a problem with that approach. You disturbed everything, and now need to figure out what went wrong.

You are correct. By the way, while I had everything apart, I cleaned all grounds. Aside from electrical, thermostat, fuel lines and fuel pump have been changed too. My approach was not to fix one symptom just to have to turn around fix something else. Wintertime is for maintenance and summertime is for putting hours on the boat -- not fixing it. I wanted this to be reliable once I put it on the lift for the season. I read the CDI troubleshooting, but thought checking the output with my AMM would give me a ballpark indication. I will see if I can locate a DMM with a DVA today. I appreciate the comment. Thanks.

Check the amphenol pins on the CDI replacement parts as they are known for not being inserted/aligned correctly..used to be good stuff.

Back