Logo

New to my Boat and 40hp Johnson Super Sea-Horse Electramatic

Yes. Thanks. Took me a minute to figure it out since I was looking for a part that matched a different bolt pattern on the incorrect gasket I have. Thanks again. Too bad I did not read far enough into the manual to find out about not removing the shaft from the drive. Looks like I am rebuilding the gearbox. Next on the list. Crash course in boat engines the hard way.

Too bad about reading that manual.-------The driveshaft on your motor can be pulled out and re-installed / slipped back in all day long with with no damage.-----What sort of manual are you reading ???

The Seloc Johnson outboards 58-72. It said to make sure not to remove the shaft from the gearbox or the pinion gears will have to be realigned. I admit, I was impatient and skipped to the water pump removal without looking at what NOT to do.

That page in your " manual " belongs in the wee house with the 1/4 moon in the door.-----There is a demand for TP these days.-------I repeat----You can pull the driveshaft out and slide it back in without any issues !!

That old wife's tale comes from the 3hp models, where the piniion falls out of place if you pull the shaft out. But it's not even true there because you can get the shaft back in if you know how.

That makes me feel better. It is all back together so as long as that isn't an issue then I will start it up tomorrow. Drive shaft is so beaten up. And the pump was in terrible shape. I can't believe the engine still runs OK. This must be a pretty tough engine. If the engine was treated as badly as the lower unit, then I don't see it lasting too much longer.

Back