Logo

Evinrude 2hp 1978 Help

Eischman

Rebuilt a 1978 Evinrude (2802R) couple years ago and can't quite get it going 100%
Problem is it will not run wide open well, when the carb was rebuilt I did not adjust
the float because I don't know how, and was wondering if that has something to do with the problem??
The points are new and set and new plug installed, the high and low needle valves looked good and clear with
no visible damage that I can see.
I know it is not running wide open well because I also have a 1982 Johnson 2hp that runs fine that I'm comparing it too.
Any ideas?? :confused:

The 2 motors are identical.----You did install needles in the correct position ?-------You have to adjust the carburetor needles when motor is working.-------Adjust bottom needle when carburetor is WOT to get the best RPM.----Then put motor to idle and adjust upper ( slow speed ) mixture.

Yes ,I have done this out on the water with motor at operating temp, but still seems to lag at WOT, like not quite getting enough fuel,
that's whey I'm wondering if float would have anything to do with it?

My opinion only.-----Floats are rarely the problem.----Did you " rebuild " the motor or just take it apart and put it back together ?

You ask a specific question concerning the float level. Let me respond with a specific question for you. When you are under way at full throtle and you feel it is not running right, and you turn the high speed needle to the left, does it slow down? Likewise, if you then turn it to the right, does it regain power and further turniing makes it slow down again? That is a specific question, and if the answer is yes to both, the carb is doing what it is supposed to do, including fill with fuel from the tank, which is controlled by the float valve. Also, if the answer is yes, the correct setting is where it runs the best between the two extremes. Simply put, that is the best you can do, as far as the carb is concerned. A carb is nothing but a glorified bucket of gas that you are sucking fuel from.

I have never personally compared the two motors you are asking about, so have no opinion on the relative performance of the two.

The float should be level, when you have carburettor upside down in your hands. Old float can be so soaked during years, that it is not doing its work well. Also it is important to be sure that float valve is good condition and not worn. Right float level is very important when talking about engine running. How is about your ignition coil, any cracks on the coil? Coil/ ignition wires?

The float that is in it could be original, so 42 years old! I replaced ignition wire also but not coil.
Thinking about it, I could swap carbs and see if the problem goes away, then that will either tell me its a carb problem or not.
I use the Johnson on our dingy but the wife says the Evinrude looks better, SO HERE I AM!

Make sure that the gasket between carburettor and intake-manifold is good condition , if not, buy new one and please don´t try run the motor with bad gasket, in will suck too much air and will run lean.

Back