Logo

2012 Yamaha 2.5hp running issues.

rowdy1976

Hi.

So my Yamaha 2.5hp outboard wont run unless the choke is applied and even then it wont idle and sounds awful. I stripped the carb and cleaned it. Removed all the jets etc and cleaned them good. Does the pilot jet that is covered by the cap screw all the way in or do you have to set it up? Also I have noticed another screw adjustment with a weird half moon type adjuster rather than a screw. What should this be set to?

Even though I have cleaned the carb, it just wont run without the choke. It sounds awful.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just to add. The pilot jet does not seem to have a hole straight through it. Only a few small holes. Its then covered by a plastic cap. How exactly does this work? Where does the fuel enter and leave the pilot jet?

So I got it ticking over without the choke. Thing is the air screw is screwed all the way in. If I apply the choke it still runs better. If I cover the air intake then revs increase. Wtf?

Call your Yamaha dealer and get the spec on the air screw....it is not in the service manual.
Drain some fuel into a glass container and see if you have water in the fuel.

Back