Logo

Mercury Outboard 40HP 4 Stroke EFI - single beep and engine stall

JeremyClay

Hi all,

New to this forum and being a boat owner. Any direction towards troubleshooting would be helpful. FYI I live on a small island over-seas where we have no access to dealerships, stores, etc. and I have to ship all part (4 week lead time) out here for replacement.

I have the following outboard:
2013 Mercury 40HP, 4 stroke, EFI
Model: 40ELHPT 40 EFI
Serial: 1C245408

Problem:
I can startup the engine normally with a single beep and will run for a few minutes. The longer it runs the engine rpm seems to drop briefly, before returning to normal. This get worse until the engine has a long beep after an rpm drop, then it revs up the rpms on its own. Eventually the lowered rpm drops will stall out the engine. The longer it runs, the more consistent the problem.

Troubleshooting so far:
I recently bought the boat/engine and went through the yearly maintenance of replacing the oil/oil filter, lower end oil, lubrication points, fuel filters, etc. I also fixed some wiring/terminal issues in the starter circuit due to corrosion. With respect to this issue I replaced all the external tubing, water filter, and input connector to the engine for the fuel line.

Observations:
I always ensure that my external gas tank (~6 gallons) has the vent open, and that the water filter is not showing any water in the gas supply. I also pump the fuel bulb prior to starting the engine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Troubleshooting update:

I temporarily replaced the idle air controller with no change to the problem. I did notice that when i have the problem, the idle air controller sucks in a lot of extra air.

I removed and cleaned the fuel injectors with carb cleaner with no change.

I disconnected fuel injector cables 1 at a time, replacing before the next while running engine. Although the engine reacted as expected, once all were plugged back in the problem was significantly reduced in occurrence.
I cleaned efi cable connectors and greased but no change. (Still reduced occurrence).

Last edited:
Back