Logo

BF225 Power Tilt/Trim Assembly Kit Question

ByrdmanFL

Contributing Member
I need a new hydraulic pump and the price on this thing is pretty high for just the pump. I found this Assembly kit, 04605-ZY3-000, that is #48 on this schematic https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-bagj-1100001-to-bagj-1199999/power-trim-tilt

It looks to me that the hydraulic pump is in this kit and I can get additional parts as a bonus for close to the same amount. Can anyone confirm that the hydraulic pump is in this kit?

These things are expensive as hell. If anyone has a better idea, let me know. The pin sheared off inside the pump, so I'm pretty sure it's toast.

Thank you!
Byrdman

Why do you say you need a new pump? Is the motor not running?

If you only need to change out the motor, attached is a cross reference between the Honda tilt/trim motors and the API equivalent.

View attachment Tilt Trim Honda to API cross reference.pdf

The API motors are much cheaper and are easy to find.

I discovered this quite a few years ago when my 2007 BF 225 T/T motor failed at a very remote location. The local marine mechanic looked at it and said it looked like a standard API motor. So we got one at a local NAPA store and tried it. We ended up having to reverse the wires that come out of the motor, but that was a simple task at the plug. I think it cost around $150. Ten years later it's still working like a charm. I then put together this cross-reference chart.

Why do you say you need a new pump? Is the motor not running?

If you only need to change out the motor, attached is a cross reference between the Honda tilt/trim motors and the API equivalent.

View attachment 22902

The API motors are much cheaper and are easy to find.

I discovered this quite a few years ago when my 2007 BF 225 T/T motor failed at a very remote location. The local marine mechanic looked at it and said it looked like a standard API motor. So we got one at a local NAPA store and tried it. We ended up having to reverse the wires that come out of the motor, but that was a simple task at the plug. I think it cost around $150. Ten years later it's still working like a charm. I then put together this cross-reference chart.

Thanks for the reply. When I bought the boat with the motors I was having tilt problems with that motor. The corners where the bolts screw in were getting cracked. So 2 years later it started doing the same thing and I bought a new motor, thinking that would be the issue but when we pulled the old one off, the shaft had sheared off but not at the shear pin, in the pump.

What I am thinking is that those cracks seeped water in the pump and it locked up and sheared the shaft. I had a boat mechanic look at it and said that the hydraulic pump is toast and since I already had a new motor, I should replace the pump and we would rebuild the cylinders if we need to.

So, since I'm thinking I need the pump, that schematic of that kit looked to me to have the pump and all the extra parts I would need if we had to go deeper and it's cheaper than just the pump which is around $1200. The kit is about $950.

Does #48 look like it includes the pump and other items to you?

Last edited:
Back