Logo

1994 Johnson 48hp (J48ESLERD) R&R prodecure for lower end seal kit?

Coolhand586

Does anybody know if there are any online videos showing the R&R procedure for the lower end seal kit on this motor? There seems to be relatively little info out there on this specific motor for some reason. There are plenty of other videos for other Johnson/Evinrude motors but not the 48 SPL. (And I actually had one repair facility here in SE Michigan, Michigan Marine Gear, tell me they wouldn't even touch the motor. Referred me elsewhere.) I have the prop off, and I tried to remove the bearing carrier with a puller but it wouldn't budge. Is it even supposed to come out on this motor? I can plainly see the bearings I want to replace (fishing line got in there). Can I replace them without removing the bearing carrier? Is that how it is supposed to be done on this motor? On a side note: I'm an auto guy, and I know cars. My wife and I inherited this boat a couple years ago, and now I'm trying, albeit slowly, to get up to speed on outboards. Thx for any help.

There is nothing special about the job of replacing the seals on this.-------These gearcases are not robust ( my opinion ) and a complete tear down is recommended by me.-----You have to remove the anode and then the retainers for the propshaft bearing housing.-----Then it should pull out.-----I am not sure how you can see the bearings if the seals are still in that bearing carrier.----You state that the bearing carrier is in the housing so no way should you be able to see any bearings !!-----Note ----I have a few of these gearcases apart and 4 on parts motors that still need to come apart.------I can not believe that a shop would not want to do that simple job for you.---I am 2 hrs north of Port Huron.

I ordered a new seal kit. Do you want to do the R&R? How much would you charge for labor? Can you do it while I wait? I wouldn't want to make two trips up there. I'm assuming I would have to remove the lower end. I see four bolts attaching it. Is there anything else (besides those four bolts) that would need to detached/loosened/accounted for?

As stated ----It is not complicated work.-------Remove the lower unit as it also needs a new water pump impeller.--Shift rod disconnect needs to be done as well.-------And ask good questions BEFORE using a hammer.-----I do not have a " drive through " repair shop at this time.------I am working on this concept as most folks would be willing to pay triple the rate for convenience.-----After all they pay about $22 / gallon for coffee at the drive through.

Does anybody know if there are any online videos showing the R&R procedure for the lower end seal kit on this motor? There seems to be relatively little info out there on this specific motor for some reason. There are plenty of other videos for other Johnson/Evinrude motors but not the 48 SPL. (And I actually had one repair facility here in SE Michigan, Michigan Marine Gear, tell me they wouldn't even touch the motor. Referred me elsewhere.) I have the prop off, and I tried to remove the bearing carrier with a puller but it wouldn't budge. Is it even supposed to come out on this motor? I can plainly see the bearings I want to replace (fishing line got in there). Can I replace them without removing the bearing carrier? Is that how it is supposed to be done on this motor? On a side note: I'm an auto guy, and I know cars. My wife and I inherited this boat a couple years ago, and now I'm trying, albeit slowly, to get up to speed on outboards. Thx for any help.

Coolhand did you ever get this done? I have a 1990 and am trying to do the same. I have pulled the retainer clips and tried using a puller to get the carrier out. None of the parts diagrams have it shown but I swear there is a threaded retainer ring of some type preventing the carrier from coming out. I can't find confirmation of that anywhere, but I am stumped. I found a pic of a 48 gear case on ebay and it has threads on the edge of the housing outside of the carrier. I can't even seem to locate a tool to unscrew the retainer ring. Here is a pic of the empty gearcase I found.housing.jpg

No , no---- the bearing carrier pulls out.----It is NOT threaded.-----You first have to remove the anode then the screws with tabs that hold it in there.-----Use 1/4" threaded rod and a strongback to pull the bearing carrier out !!

Coolhand did you ever get this done? I have a 1990 and am trying to do the same. I have pulled the retainer clips and tried using a puller to get the carrier out. None of the parts diagrams have it shown but I swear there is a threaded retainer ring of some type preventing the carrier from coming out. I can't find confirmation of that anywhere, but I am stumped. I found a pic of a 48 gear case on ebay and it has threads on the edge of the housing outside of the carrier. I can't even seem to locate a tool to unscrew the retainer ring. Here is a pic of the empty gearcase I found.View attachment 25993

I did get it out. Used a bearing puller tool and some mild heat (propane torch) to the outside of the housing. It came...with a little coaxing...but it came. My plan is to replace the oil seals every season. Should be easier this spring. Hope this helps.

I did get it out. Used a bearing puller tool and some mild heat (propane torch) to the outside of the housing. It came...with a little coaxing...but it came. My plan is to replace the oil seals every season. Should be easier this spring. Hope this helps.

Finally!!! Thanks for the info and help. Had to do a little bush fix engineering on the puller because the 1/4" rods kept bending when there was only two in there. But whew, got it out finally.

Puller.jpg

Out.jpg

It is that white powder ( aluminum oxide ) that forms in there that jams it up.------That is how nature works.----Oxygen joins with the aluminum to form the oxide.-----There is now more material there ( oxygen ) and thus it jams up.------Nature does this one molecule at a time.

Finally!!! Thanks for the info and help. Had to do a little bush fix engineering on the puller because the 1/4" rods kept bending when there was only two in there. But whew, got it out finally.

Glad to hear it, bro. And glad a novice like me could actually help someone else!

Back