Logo

2000 150hp Ficht Problem

Dep2234

Good evening.
New user here in need of some help.
Due to a marriage separation, my boat sat for 1.5 years. The good news is that we have reconciled. The bad news was a blah day on the water.
Before stored, treated remaining gas. Always flush motor after use. Yadda yadda.
Before taking her out, replaced lower unit oil and did a water pump/impeller replace because she wasn't peeing as hard as she should, and after owning for 5 years, haven't ever done it.
Starts, runs, idles like a champ. Then throttle up on the water, getting only 2700 rpms. No misfiring or sputtering, just no power. No warning lights or signals.
EMM was replaced by previous owner 6 years ago. I have the paperwork, and he was my uncle. Never ever had a single issue with this motor til now.
Compression is good, but I only cleaned the plugs, not replaced them. Could it be that simple?
All help is appreciated. I miss my boat and need to get out too the reefs!

Nope----Spark is suspect.----Might be running on 3 cylinders.-----Possibly due to shift switch.-----Pull plug wires of one at a time to see if there are RPM changes.

Understood. V6 though, so have to test all.
Best way to do that without shocking myself? Lol

And it may be prudent to mention that while priming, I get a LOT of fuel in the air box, even seeing it run out of port side throats.

Last edited:
Another ignorant question...
DI fuel injectors on this...
Lol, sorry, I was typing when you were! Is there a way to also test or clean the injectors?

To test, squirt some fuel in each cylinder and see if it picks up or not. If it does pick up you'll know that's the bad cylinder.

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to check spark or injectors yet, but did a quick compression test and all is good at 110+/- a few pounds.
The thing that is tough is that I'm 30 min from a ramp to test on load, and she runs like a dream on ear muffs. Grrr.

You need to understand that your motor will bark and roar on a hose.----It will do that on 3 of 6 cylinders !-----Check the spark on each lead.

The thing that is tough is that I'm 30 min from a ramp to test on load, and she runs like a dream on ear muffs. Grrr.

A 55 gallon plastic drum cut to size will work to test the engine under back pressure. Make the barrel high enough so that the middle of the m-section is submerged. Fill it with water and leave the hose running slightly when you start the engine.

Understood. Thank you!
Best way I thought to do that is a inline tester. All plugs flickered the same and looked good.
Would ordering the software and cable help diagnose, or only if it has errors? I found a software kit on eBay for $60

And it may be prudent to mention that while priming, I get a LOT of fuel in the air box, even seeing it run out of port side throats.

If this is true...the lift pump is pumping fuel back into motor on #2 cylinder.

Ok. So I didn't do that yet bc something different is happening on ear muffs.
Surging in revs, rpms, while at idle. Up to 3k, back down, inconsistently. Any ideas? Of course, sounds like fuel to me, but I'm mechanically inclined, not a mechanic.
Throttle body gaskets? Spit-balling here. Thanks!!

Still hard to tell with the Rev surging. I got the software today. Hope I can figure out all the installs. I'll see what I can find out on that

Ok. Update.
I got the software. Started with a static fuel injection test, and all injectors are clicking as intended. Dynamic test, and cylinders 1, 3 and 5 cut the engine out when I disabled the injectors. Cylinders 2, 4 and 6 (all in port side) no change. Then for giggles, I disconnected the plug wires from ALL of the port side cylinders... motor sounded exactly the same!
So yes, I have spark over there. The injectors are firing on static test. But it seems that the fuel coming out of the port side throats in the throttle body are telling me that the injectors aren't getting fuel over there, and the motor is running on 3 cylinders.
So now I assume I find if there is any fuel blockage going to the port side of the motor...
Anything I seemed to miss?
I appreciate everyone's help!!

Back