Logo

2000 150hp Ficht Problem

Yes sir. I failed to mention that I did that as well. It seems all cylinders on the port side showed no change, whereas starboard bogged the motor and/or killed it. That was when I ran it again with everything in, audio recorded it, pulled all the plug wires on the port side and she sounded exactly the same. Looks as though there is a fuel delivery issue on port side of the motor.
Now I just need to figure out how to fish that down.

Good morning. There is spark, according to my inline spark tester. Seems to be starving for fuel.
On the rear of the power head is mounted the hi pressure fuel pump and vapor separator tank. On top of the get is a vent line (hose) follow the hose to the port intake manifold.pull it off at the manifold.there shouldn't be any gas out the hose,vapor only.

Only vapor from what I can tell. And doing a static test on the fuel pump is showing its working. Oil, fuel, ignition, and injectors are all responding and no faults are being shown on the software.
Does the shift assist cut out the starboard or port side? Bad cable?
Sorry guys, just trying to pick this apart.
One thing I still have to do is check the lift pump tomorrow.

I'll do that today.
I'm confused as to why the diagnostic software doesn't pick up in the 3 cylinders not firing. Guess I was hoping for a bit more out of it. Zero faults.

If anyone is in the Tampa area (Oldsmar) and wants to come scratch their head with me in it, I welcome your time! I've got free beer and if we figure it out, I'm happy to compensate for your time lol

Only vapor from what I can tell. And doing a static test on the fuel pump is showing its working. Oil, fuel, ignition, and injectors are all responding and no faults are being shown on the software.
Does the shift assist cut out the starboard or port side? Bad cable?
Sorry guys, just trying to pick this apart.
One thing I still have to do is check the lift pump tomorrow.
Is it still picking gas out port throttle body?

Retested. Took off the vent line as recommended and primed. Gas flowed out of it. It's definitely what it filling the port side with fuel.
Can the fuel pump be removed and cleaned or rebuilt? Damn things aren't cheap.

The float and/or needle is sticking open.as you probably noticed no parts avialable.you can remove top of v s t and try to clean.Do not break hose nipple. The excess gas floods the port bank . You really need a evinrude service manual of you intent to maintain this engine

Gotcha. I am looking at the manual now actually. It came with the software for the diagnostics and cable.
Could this be the reason my port side is dead though?

So, just ran another test, and you're right!!!!
I kept the vent hose disconnected. It's long enough to get past the motor and run into a bucket. It's flowing CRAZY. The for giggles I did my drop test again, using the injectors and I could hear a significant difference disengaging the fuel injectors on the port side!! Prior, since it was only running on starboard, when I disengaged the fuel injectors on the starboard side the motor could not run on two cylinders. Now the motor continues to run when I disengage each injector one at a time. Looks like I have to fix this problem and I'm back on the water!!

The float needle is rusted solid in the chamber! I used some penetration oil and am going to give it a few hours before I try and pull it out.
I left the vent hose on the nipple as to minimize any pressure on that so I don't break it.

Hot dog!! Got the needle out, cleaned it up with some fine grit sandpaper without messing with the rubber tip. Used a small gun bore cleaning tool to clean the inside of the cylinder that the needle goes into. Then I used a small wooden kabob skewer to make sure the hole was nice and cleaned out. Cleaned everything up with some brake cleaner, reinstalled, and now I have nothing but vapor coming out of my hose! I'm charging my computer so I can do a drop cylinder test using the fuel injectors, however I did notice while I was running it at the port side head was getting warm when it wasn't doing that before. RWButler, hats off to you sir, and pretty proud of myself for cleaning this without breaking anything!
I'll update everyone once I do my drop cylinder test, and then I'll drive to the dock, put it in and see what happens. I will update you guys, but I wanted to say thank you for everything!!

Just a quick update...
Everything is perfect. Finally got in the water yesterday for a test, and ran like a bat outta hell for 30-45 min. Issue was definitely the vst.
Thanks all for your help! Now my next question is how do I do a prop seal kit? Lol.

Back