Logo

Velvet drive trans on crusader damper plate

can say I've ever heard of that one....

did all of the old remnants get removed??

which plate was put back in?

can say I've ever heard of that one....

did all of the old remnants get removed??

which plate was put back in?

it was the supposed upgrade for the crusader 454, looked like the old one with 6 springs, but had a metal cover over the springs. I’m worried that it might be rubbing the front of tranny housing. I guess the only way to know is disassemble again. I have the part numbers here somewhere.

Thanks for getting back to me. All of the debris from the old unit was removed. Unless it got up in front of the flywheel. I removed the lower cover on bell housing finding only a few trace metal specs. Tranny shifts ok, noise decreases with increase in rpm or is silenced by the increase in motor noise. I’m thinking we may have damaged something reinstalling the tranny, very tight on this boat, but seemed to go okay once the spline engaged.

I replaced the old damper with part # 98511, the more I look the more I think I may have installed the wrong one. # 98248 is the other number. I should know more when I get it apart.

1996 454 Crusader with 5000 series Velvet drive tranny. Just finished removing tranny, bell housing and damper plate. The inside of the bell housing had scoring in several spots(no pattern). Looks as if some part was loose bouncing around. Cleaned very well before reassembly, but I couldn’t find any debris any where. The damper plate looked new, fits on tranny spline, but I would not say it’s tight. We noticed to sets of bolt holes A & B in the plate. I had used A holes, but noticed the bolts fit tighter in pattern B. I think I have the correct damper plate. Guess I’ll reassemble tomorrow.

An engine that has a miss will rattle a damper plate at idle. Often that is the only way to tell it is missing and the rattle will go away as the rpm picks up. Not saying that is your problem but it may be worth considering. Over the past 8 years I have had it happen twice. Once with a clogged injector and once with a cracked spark plug.

that's the right plate for that gear....using the wrong holes can cause misalignment....and noise from it.

how did the other holes work out?

that's the right plate for that gear....using the wrong holes can cause misalignment....and noise from it.

how did the other holes work out?
haven’t reassembled, still trying to confirm which plate to use. And give my old body a chance to recover. 81 is too old to be upside down in the bilge.
Thanks for the info Mark.

how did the other holes work out?[/

I went on the Crusaderengine site and found the new 454 using the 5000 series velvet drive use part #98298 damper plate, I am going to try it. The one I have may also work, but I’m shy of reinstalling it, with noise I had last time. Not any easy job!

the 511 plate is supposed to be for a 502 to a 5000 series gear; the 298 plate is for the 454 and smaller (lower torque) engines....I think either will function once installed properly....

I used the A bolt pattern with the 3/8 “ bolts, probably allowed just enough misalignment to give me noise. The B pattern looks the same , but the 3/8” bolts fit the holes in the d. Plate tighter. The 502 flywheel May have larger bolts, it would be nice if I had some instruction with the part when ordered.

I used the A bolt pattern with the 3/8 “ bolts, probably allowed just enough misalignment to give me noise. The B pattern looks the same , but the 3/8” bolts fit the holes in the d. Plate tighter. The 502 flywheel May have larger bolts, it would be nice if I had some instruction with the part when ordered.

Back