Logo

Merc Catalystt Manifold - Hoist Need? Stuck Rubber Fitting? New O2 Sensors Needed?

personalt

mh6G5atcyn6UMeed8
I think I need a new manifold and riser for my Merc 350 with Emissions Conrtol/Catalyst Manifold. Couple of questions

1)The rubber fitting at and of riser is stuck on thre really good. Any tips to remove that rubber fitting or do I just replace? At $60 each I would love to get them off if possible.
2)Do I need a hoiset? It says manifold are 75lbs... On port side I have enough room to get down in there so it might be a little easier to manage but for starboard I would need to be leaning over from side. In the service manual, they talk about using a hoist particularly if removing the whole assembly in one shot. If I install the riser and manifold seperatly should I expect to be able to do the manifold without a hoist? I can pay a helper or use my wife as helper for free
smile.gif

3)Should I look to replace the O2 sensors? That would add $400 to the job but at least for the manifold ones don't look like that would be possible or at least easy to replace later without removing manifold
4)Are there any other parts I should expect to need as part of this project or should I replace at the same time. I was going to do plugs at the same time. But I was really wondering if I buy the manifold, riser and maybe the 02 sensors do I need to buy anything else?
5)Manual mentions alignment pins but I cant find the part number. I can always get two bolts and cut the head off but do they sell an actual alignment pin?

AF1QipMFNA0ucFDx552-Lr-_--SiEHsEl5U0HXrq-tVB

Last edited:
I would eliminate the cats with standard manifolds
Can give better help but need year and engine serial number

Intersting, woudl love to hear your idea.

5.0L, 350, 377 MAG MPI STERNDRIVE EC

Serial - 2A041554
Model - 4M410RLUU

If you do look up my info, does it show I have the 2" riser? I saw a riser kit with an older part number of
879288A25 for $650 for the set, dont know what changed whne the part numbers changed but that seems to be a good 200 cheaper then replacement part.

Last edited:
I would eliminate the cats with standard manifolds
Can give better help but need year and engine serial number

YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO AN EC ENGINE!

Unless you purchase a new non-ec PCM north of our border.

Perturbation: Having the fuel cycle between rich and lean in a very short period of time.

This is the action your engines computer will perform to test the existence and health of your catalyst. If the computer does not see the Perturbation your engine will go immediately into guardian mode.

Last edited:
Radio Shack Part Numbers:
# 2721434 -- 1MFD Cap.
# 2711356 -- PK5 1MEG 1/4 W

AHEM!!!.... Think you posted on wrong forum :) BTW... Radio Shack ( one of my favorite stores for quick project parts) is long gone :-( These days, I use Digikey and Mouser.

YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO AN EC ENGINE!

Unless you purchase a new non-ec PCM north of our border.

Perturbation: Having the fuel cycle between rich and lean in a very short period of time.

This is the action your engines computer will perform to test the existence and health of your catalyst. If the computer does not see the Perturbation your engine will go immediately into guardian mode.

Thanks... I. did see someone that made a module that plugs in 'Max Volt Catalyst Elimination computer' but that is $450.. When you factor in the fact that the exaust might not line up you do save some money but not a ton

Thanks... I. did see someone that made a module that plugs in 'Max Volt Catalyst Elimination computer' but that is $450.. When you factor in the fact that the exaust might not line up you do save some money but not a ton

Correction. Your engine will not go into guardian but the alarm will beep and check engine light will be on permanently...

The only way I can see of eliminating the cat exhaust (other than using an ECM from a non catalyst engine) would be to go all the way back to carbed engine, low pressure electric pump and conventional dry joint manifolds; which would cost close to what the price of changing your OE cat exhaust and is no doubt a violation of fed law. However since there are no inspections for boats as with vehicles that may be a moot point....

Back