Logo

MFS 30c wire tach

merc200dalarna

Contributing Member
s-l1600.jpgIMG_20200302_172615579a.jpg Hey gurus. How do I wire the 'cheap universal tach' to the original (european) tohatsu wires coming out of the remote? Color to which color? Is my motor using 6c setting on tach? (Figure I can ask, but also test later on)

Thanks in advance.

Tachometer pole settings:

TLDI: All models: 4-pole setting

4-Strokes:
8/9.8hp: 6 pole setting
9.9hp to 30hp: 12 pole setting
40hp to 250 hp : 4 pole setting

2-Strokes:
up to 40C: 4 pole setting
40D~90A: 6 pole setting
115~140: 12 pole setting

Of course, that info is in your Factory service manual.
As a dealer, I typically use the real Tohatsu tachometers.
Standard color codes: White is tach signal; red is 12v power; blue is instrument lighting; black is ground.
Looks like your tach may not work unless you can figure out a way to set it to 12 poles.

Tachometer pole settings:

TLDI: All models: 4-pole setting

4-Strokes:
8/9.8hp: 6 pole setting
9.9hp to 30hp: 12 pole setting
40hp to 250 hp : 4 pole setting

2-Strokes:
up to 40C: 4 pole setting
40D~90A: 6 pole setting
115~140: 12 pole setting

Of course, that info is in your Factory service manual.
As a dealer, I typically use the real Tohatsu tachometers.
Standard color codes: White is tach signal; red is 12v power; blue is instrument lighting; black is ground.
Looks like your tach may not work unless you can figure out a way to set it to 12 poles.

What is light green wire then?

And what is "most likely" the counterpart colors of the tach?
I did not get any panflet with wiring alongside the tach.
Something tells me 12-poles uses "6c" "6 cycles". Well I can test, I guess.

This is a ~30 dollar tach, Tohatsu has them around $190, or the TOCS for $500, not an option.

LG is tach light. I was thinking blue. I see blue under a lot of dashboards. Sorry.
The actual analog Tohatsu tach (in black) is:
Part #: 3NV726380M
List Price (MSRP): $125.00
Also available in white.

Again, all is in your Factory service manual. You definitely should get one.
Part #: 003-21054-3
List Price (MSRP): $65.00

The TOCS Digital Tachometer features large lighted buttons, chrome bezel, fog and scratch resistant coating , plug & play connectors and is LED back-lit for easy viewing at night/dusk. A user-friendly, intuitive design makes the menu easy to navigate. The TOCS multi-function tachometer connects to the CAN bus and communicates directly with the engine’s ECU. Engine data, fault codes and alarms are displayed on the LCD display (TLDI & MFS models only) and are visible even in direct sunlight.

Last edited:
LG is tach light. I was thinking blue. I see blue under a lot of dashboards. Sorry.
The actual analog Tohatsu tach (in black) is:
Part #: 3NV726380M
List Price (MSRP): $125.00
Also available in white.

Again, all is in your Factory service manual. You definitely should get one.
Part #: 003-21054-3
List Price (MSRP): $65.00

The TOCS Digital Tachometer features large lighted buttons, chrome bezel, fog and scratch resistant coating , plug & play connectors and is LED back-lit for easy viewing at night/dusk. A user-friendly, intuitive design makes the menu easy to navigate. The TOCS multi-function tachometer connects to the CAN bus and communicates directly with the engine’s ECU. Engine data, fault codes and alarms are displayed on the LCD display (TLDI & MFS models only) and are visible even in direct sunlight.

Yes. But I'm glad I got a bargain on the motor in the first place. Found this on "faria marine gauges":Screenshot_2020-03-15 Tachometer IS0086p - [PDF Document].jpg at red arrows it says that number of pulses is half the number of poles on alternator. So I will set this at "6p" = 6 pulses per revolution. Guess my way through the Grey = sender/pulse, Black = minus/ground, Lilac = 12v positive/ plus.
And just not use the blue that might be instrument lighting. (I can possibly wire it later with separate on/off via the 12v+

Back