Logo

1963 Johnson JW18 fuel filter repair 3hp

mojojohnson

I just removed the fuel filter from the onboard fuel tank of my 3hp, and the sintered mesh cone filter separated from the brass fitting. Any ideas on how to clean the mesh cone and how to reattach it to the brass fitting?

thanks in advance

They were originally soldered in, similar to sweat-solder fittings on copper plumbing pipe. They were intended to be replaced, not cleaned. But I know, some people claim they get them clean. Personally, I don't mess with them and solder in a piece of brass filter screen.

If you can find that part from somewhere, or if you can buy another motor for parts, are also options. During my engine rebuild, i cleaned that part with carb/egr cleaner many times. Also i used compressed air. I got my filter pretty clean. If you buy used filter, remember clean it very very well. When refit, i added some drops "perfect seal, gasket maker number 4" to the fuel valve threads. And no leaks. Always happy to help people with these nice little engines.

Last edited:
If you can find that part from somewhere, or if you can buy another motor for parts, are also options. During my engine rebuild, i cleaned that part with carb/egr cleaner many times. Also i used compressed air. I got my filter pretty clean. If you buy used filter, remember clean it very very well. When refit, i added some drops "perfect seal, gasket maker number 4" to the fuel valve threads. And no leaks. Always happy to help people with these nice little engines.

Thanks for the responses. If the old filter cone was originally soldered to the brass fitting, is it possible to re-solder it with a torch, flux, and solder?

I think it is too dangerous to use torch to fuel filter, since fuel filter always have some fuel/cleaner vapours are these are highly flammable.

I'll try to take some pictures. Hey, not much else to do since I'm 83 years old and self-quaranteeing. Can't risk getting the bug.

Back