Logo

Best Volvo engine/outdrive combination, Dream List.

Tanyoy

So I have read all 72 pages of this forum and learned a lot. i have a Volvo 131 or 230 with a sp-c drive that I have been happy with but I am thinking I would like to own a boat with a v8 and dual prop of the aq series. What is the opinion of a great engine/out drive for single engine boat about 21' fish/cuddy . I will include a picture of my boat I currently own and like the size of. I enjoy the waters of the puget sound.
And thank you to people that have knowledge that take the time to reply to posts like this, I really appreciate it!campion 008.JPGcampion 028.JPGcampion 002.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like a very nice clean boat and trailer. Those little OHC 4 bangers are great engines, and when treated well, will go for years and years.

As for the V-8 engine...... I would suggest that you first learn if this exact hull was ever produced with a V-8 engine that weighs considerably more than the OHC 4.
Secondly, find out if the structural transom will support the the torque produced by the V-8 engine and DP drive.
Also, your insurance company requires a horse power rating for the boat as it came from the factory. If you increase the hp, how will this affect your policy?

As for an engine and stern drive combination, you can't beat a SBC and the DP-C drive for a 21 footer. Be prepared to have more power/speed than you will need.

You would be able to use your C transom shield, transmission and Intermediate housing.
The lower DP gear unit would need to be the 1.95:1 .
You would need the complete engine, exhaust system, Y-pipe, GM V-8 flywheel cover, side engine mounts, perhaps modified engine stringers, etc.

Have you considered selling this nice clean boat, and picking up a similar boat that is already equipped with a V-8 and the DP-C drive?
In the long run, that would very likely cost you less money.

Thanks Rick, I should have phrased that differently, I do plan on selling my boat and looking for a different boat with a v-8. I will incorporate the dp-c drive into my search for a new to me boat.

For a 21 ft cuddy, engine size will depend on displacement ( weight) as well as deadrise ( how steep the V of the hull is)... the deeper the V the better it will handle rough water but the steeper the V the more HP ( and CID displacement) you will need for a given desired speed ( and the more gas it will burn) . Deep V hulls, while they handle rough water well while running, tend to have an unpleasant snap roll when drifting in some seas. Depends on what you are going to use the boat for and in what waters you boat.

Back