Logo

New tilt motor and pump, filled... but it still won't move!

favabeans

Hey again folks! Following on to some previous posts about my 73 Evinrude 65HP, I found and installed a brand new tilt motor/pump/reservoir combo. I looked at the part number on the old one, matched it via the API Marine cross-reference sheet, and it installed great, after a little grinding on the rectangular mount to make it fit. Pictures below.

Problem is, the motor still won't move up or down. I filled it with fluid, went up and down with it 4 times, topping up each time.. (I stopped because I literally could not move the motor up any more without seriously hurting myself) ...

Strange thing was though, when the hydraulics for the tilt motor were completely disconnected, the motor was nearly impossible to move up or down manually. Almost threw out my back lifting it up, and down, even with hydraulics for the tilt disconnected. (The other hydraulic cylinder was still connected)

In short, I'd really appreciate it if anyone was willing to theorize what might be wrong.. The rusty connection at the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder on the left? (Is there a name for that?) Or could the hydraulic cylinders themselves seize up?

Pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/5PUQg9T

Thank you!!
Pete

Don't know on that older model . what yr. Is that ?
It should have a shaft(pin) When transom bracket is mounted solid to boat transom, motor has to rotate on a shaft to raise or lower motor rite ?

Don't know on that older model . what yr. Is that ?
It should have a shaft(pin) When transom bracket is mounted solid to boat transom, motor has to rotate on a shaft to raise or lower motor rite ?

1973. 65hp. Evinrude - I’ll check that. After some pb blaster last night, It goes down now, but for up, I still have to lift it manually with the tilt motor running

Back