Logo

Unknown part

Dennis J Aitken

I have a 2000 Honda BF40AY-LRTA (40hp 4 stroke)
I have a parts boat that this came with.
The problem I have is that I have a part that I haven't the foggiest idea where it goes.
Part number: S3C-01
Internet tells me it could be a diode.
It has a gray wire that goes to a female connector and splits off to a lead with a male connector.
The same thing with the black wire.
I checked the diode (with VOM) and it comes up with 0.999 and when I flip the leads the same reading
indicating that the diode does not work.

Attachments

• 20200311_131900sm.jpg
    20200311_131900sm.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200311_131853sm.jpg
    20200311_131853sm.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200311_131846 sm.jpg
    20200311_131846 sm.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 25
Hi,
My quick Google search indicates that this part isn't used on your BF 40.
It does appear to be a diode but it may be an engine stop diode for a Honda GX series power equipment engine.

I did find a reference that your warning buzzer mounted inside the remote is a turn signal buzzer from a Honda motorcycle being "re-tasked" to get your attention at your helm ;>)....but it doesn't look anything like your mystery part.

And, if it is indeed a diode, you have already proven that it's junk.

Good luck.

I really appreciate the reply!
Unfortunately, the best I can get out of Honda Marine was "Go see a dealer repair shop"
I just purchased the service manuals for the engine.
I asked a local shop what is involved with a tune up and he said oil & filter change, fuel filter change and spark plugs then lower unit oil replacement with the o-rings. All for just $300.00 Yeah! I KNOW I can do that.

Oh, for sure you can do those items.

Just a few tips:
Use only NGK plugs. They seem to work better than Denso on the Hondas in most cases.

Make sure that you don't over fill the crankcase. It's actually better to have the oil level a tad under the FULL mark on the dipstick as it ensures that the oil won't be whipped into a froth. Over filling causes the oil to be aerated and can starve the oil pump which can lead to engine damage.

A good quality impact driver is a tool that you need to loosen screws on on an outboard. The lower end drain and fill screws can be difficult to loosen without one. Just using a screwdriver usually ends up in frustration and damaged screw slots and Phillips heads.

When changing the gear oil in the transmission fill it from the bottom until the oil runs from the fill hole. Trying to fill the gearcase using the top hole will be painfully slow and could lead to a trapped air pocket that you can't detect. This will leave the transmission under filled with oil and that's not what you want.

There are little pumps available and adapter tips for making filling the trans easier and less messy. But if you can't find those items it's still not very difficult to use the the sqeeze tubes with the tapered tips to do the job. Just take your time and get a plan together about how you'll go about it. Again, from the bottom.

Good luck

Thank you very much for this info!
I copied the post and put it with my pontoon information folder.
This is my first boat. I'm almost 70 and I am actually enjoying this adventure.
The guy across the street said there are two days a man is happy; the day he gets his boat and the day he sells his boat.
He said BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. Yeah he is an ol fuddy duddy!
Got this boat very late last year so not much chance to do everything on it.
So far I have stripped everything off of the deck and inspected the wood. It is in good condition.
My neighbor is a professional reupholster and helped me fix the bench seat and he is now working on putting the vinyl back on the helm after I did all the cutouts for the gauges, steering, radio, speakers, and switch panel.
I just need to know when we will have 3 days of dry upper 60º weather so that I can put on the new flooring then put everything back together.
I am going to have a site on the Internet with all the pics from beginning to end.
Trust me I REALLY appreciate the great info you just gave me.
Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up on this. It was frustrating going over the wiring diagram about 20x and almost memorizing it.
I tossed it in the garbage.
When this guy sold me the boat it had a cover on the motor that said 2006 Honda 40 hp 4 stroke.
It turns out it is a 2000 engine. When I changed the ownership with Honda after I gave them the serial number.
The boat is also not a 2006 like he said but it turned out to be a 1999 when I saw the title.
I'm not going to bother to confront him but if this was 40 years ago... I'm almost 70 now.
That's OK The boat will be just the way my better half & I will like it and THAT is all that counts is that she is happy!

Well GOOD ONYA!! :>)
YEP, us old guys still got it! I'm right behind you at 69 and I'm trying to fix up a little pontoon I found at the metal place about to be crushed!
I offered them a few bucks and they loaded it on my trailer! It's only 16' so I found a nice 06 20 BFD for her. Should scoot right along like that....20mph maybe.
Good luck with your project and I hope your Honda gives good service.

Back