Logo

Default 1979 Evinrude 55HP Lower Unit Issues

I recently purchased a 15 foot fiberglass boat that was in really good condition with a trailer for $125. It had an Evinrude 55HP engine on the back without a lower unit or starter; the rest of the engine was there and seems to have solid compression. Fast forward to around a month ago: I found a Evinrude 55HP engine that had a crack on the exhaust housing. I got it for $100; of course I had to drive a few hours to pick it up.

Anyway, I tested the starter and it was in solid condition. I will more than likely need a new prop because this one is pretty knicked up, which I was not too concerned about. However, the lower unit itself seems to be locked up. It was kept empty for who knows how long, and I cannot seem to get it to shift gears or to get the drive shaft to rotate at all. I have tried various ways to get it to rotate. I have tried to rotate the prop to possibly pop it out of gear, as I read on other forums had suggested, but I am not having any luck getting it unstuck. I do not have the gear puller or a Johnson/Evinrude spline socket, so I cannot really take apart the lower unit to inspect it. I know the best case scenario would be to do that and rebuild it, but I am wondering if there are any tricks that you guys have to recommend to get it to rotate. I need any sort of hope I can get because I am fairly new to the whole boating thing. Small engines like mowers and etc. make perfect sense to me, so I wouldn't say I am a complete rookie at this, but I definitely could use some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

~Rad

Default Re: 1979 Evinrude 55HP Lower Unit Issues

If lower unit is off remove the water pump.------Remove the driveshaft thrust bearing housing.----No special tools required.---Report what you find in there.----And to take this unit apart you only need a pair of LARGE internal circlip pliers .---Perhaps rent those.
    Last edited by racerone; 03-10-2020 at 08:03 PM.

I took the water pump off because I assumed I would need a new impeller. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't too bad in there. Is there something I am supposed to see in here? It doesn't look rusted or anything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89257791_2826451854097921_2094865934937227264_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	22831

Correct---Does not look bad.-----I assume they drained water out of this gearcase.----Then left it.-----Bearings and gears could be scrap from corrosion.----Take this lower unit apart.----Not that difficult.----Did one like it last week.----New parts are very pricy from factory if available.

Before you take it apart. Mix up some Acetone and ATF 50-50 and fill the gear case and leave it sit for a few days. Then try rotating it and see what happens.

What happened ??

Well ??????????????????????????

Hello guys; sorry for such a long wait on responding!

I have been exceptionally busy at work with all of the crazy panic and haven't had much time to work on this. I am going to try the ATF + Acetone trick here today and I will update you guys with my results/findings. Thanks everyone

Thanks, Keep us posted !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie View Post
    Thanks, Keep us posted !!
    Well gentlemen, it's soaking now. My next day I will have a chance to work on it will be Friday; I will let you guys know what I find out then

Quote Originally Posted by radryan1024 View Post
    Well gentlemen, it's soaking now. My next day I will have a chance to work on it will be Friday; I will let you guys know what I find out then

Well everybody, it seems as if the ATF and Acetone trick may have worked. Today I put it back on the motor to be able to have a better grip to try to rotate the prop and it spins now. Not too smoothly, but tomorrow I think I will buy a battery (or use one of my old car batteries) and see if I can get it to crank and go from there.

That gearcase is destined for the scrap heap..
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)