Logo

1979 Evinrude 55HP Lower Unit Issues

radryan1024

I recently purchased a 15 foot fiberglass boat that was in really good condition with a trailer for $125. It had an Evinrude 55HP engine on the back without a lower unit or starter; the rest of the engine was there and seems to have solid compression. Fast forward to around a month ago: I found a Evinrude 55HP engine that had a crack on the exhaust housing. I got it for $100; of course I had to drive a few hours to pick it up.

Anyway, I tested the starter and it was in solid condition. I will more than likely need a new prop because this one is pretty knicked up, which I was not too concerned about. However, the lower unit itself seems to be locked up. It was kept empty for who knows how long, and I cannot seem to get it to shift gears or to get the drive shaft to rotate at all. I have tried various ways to get it to rotate. I have tried to rotate the prop to possibly pop it out of gear, as I read on other forums had suggested, but I am not having any luck getting it unstuck. I do not have the gear puller or a Johnson/Evinrude spline socket, so I cannot really take apart the lower unit to inspect it. I know the best case scenario would be to do that and rebuild it, but I am wondering if there are any tricks that you guys have to recommend to get it to rotate. I need any sort of hope I can get because I am fairly new to the whole boating thing. Small engines like mowers and etc. make perfect sense to me, so I wouldn't say I am a complete rookie at this, but I definitely could use some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

~Rad

If lower unit is off remove the water pump.------Remove the driveshaft thrust bearing housing.----No special tools required.---Report what you find in there.----And to take this unit apart you only need a pair of LARGE internal circlip pliers .---Perhaps rent those.

Last edited:
I took the water pump off because I assumed I would need a new impeller. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't too bad in there. Is there something I am supposed to see in here? It doesn't look rusted or anything.
89257791_2826451854097921_2094865934937227264_n.jpg

Correct---Does not look bad.-----I assume they drained water out of this gearcase.----Then left it.-----Bearings and gears could be scrap from corrosion.----Take this lower unit apart.----Not that difficult.----Did one like it last week.----New parts are very pricy from factory if available.

Before you take it apart. Mix up some Acetone and ATF 50-50 and fill the gear case and leave it sit for a few days. Then try rotating it and see what happens.

Hello guys; sorry for such a long wait on responding!

I have been exceptionally busy at work with all of the crazy panic and haven't had much time to work on this. I am going to try the ATF + Acetone trick here today and I will update you guys with my results/findings. Thanks everyone

Well gentlemen, it's soaking now. My next day I will have a chance to work on it will be Friday; I will let you guys know what I find out then

Well everybody, it seems as if the ATF and Acetone trick may have worked. Today I put it back on the motor to be able to have a better grip to try to rotate the prop and it spins now. Not too smoothly, but tomorrow I think I will buy a battery (or use one of my old car batteries) and see if I can get it to crank and go from there.

Back