Logo

BF130 bearing carrier wont budge

Hello all,

I'm stuck and really need your help.

Not sure how yet but somehow I'm getting water in the gearbox despite having replaced the seals on the shift rod, under the water pump and prop shaft (Without removing bearing carrier :eek: ) and despite a 10 PSI pressure and vacuum test being ok, my gear oil still has water in it so I think it best I strip the gearbox for inspection.

The gearbox is off and sat on my bench, I've remove the water pump and shift rod plus the 2 bolts holding in the bearing carrier but it wouldn't budge at all so I rigged up a puller however even this doesn't seem to be working. Its now been sat with the puller on for 24hrs and covered in WD40 but it still wont move.

Is this normal or have I missed something?

Warm the casing up with a heatgun to expand it slightly, mainly where the propshaft assembly fits in, & it should come apart.

Wow! that worked great.

I spent about 20 minutes heating the case, turned the puller and out it came with very little effort. Added bonus is the heat didn't even damage the paint.

Thank you.

I just bought a new boat and both of the 2001 Honda 130 HP lower units have water in the oil. I have order shop manual, waiting for it to come in. I have watched many videos about removing the lower bearing carrier. I am having a similar problem. I am trying to remove bearing carrier, I can get it to come out about 1 inch, but no further. I can push it back and for the 1 inch. The whole prop shaft moves with the carrier about 1 inch.
Is there something I am missing, why is it catching about 1 inch out. I have heated it, put lots of WD40 on it. I purchased a bearing carrier puller and it won't budge past the 1 inch. I am afraid i might break something.

In the videos, i have not see anyone remove anything else, so is the prop shaft gears catching on shifter or drive shaft? I made sure the motor was in Neutral before I started.

Last edited:
Hi surveyor8120

Have you remove the shift rod?

If the prop shaft is moving with the carrier and the shift rod is still in the lower unit then the carrier will not come out.

Just wanted to add to this in the hope it might save you and a few others some headaches with emulsified gear oil on these bf130's

The water pump base/housing was found to allow water into the gearbox due to negative pressure when the engine slows down. The original part was replaced with 19241-ZW1-B01

Although the above was from a bulletin I found listed for a 2002 bf130, I will be changing this and installing new seals on my 98 just to play it safe.

Thank you.
I really can't wait until my book comes in. Shipping to Alaska can be a real pain sometimes.

I was able to remove the shifter and get the carrier out. Thanks again for all you help guys.

Last edited:
Back