Logo

1987 Chris Craft model 196 Limited fuel tank issues

Professor

Hello, I'm brand new to this site and would like to know how to replace the fuel tank on this model. Its a 1987 chris craft model 196 limited.
It came with a 230/V8 Mercruiser engine and had been setting the last 5yrs. The mechanic replaced all new fuel lines and rebuilt carb but said the fuel tank was contaminated and was unable to clean it out therefore the new tank is needed. Can anyone help this 70yr old who has a good mechanical ability do this himself? Thank you. My email is [email protected]

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Don't know that particular boat, but the sequence is the same,.......

Locate the tank, if there's a deck hatch big enough to pull the tank, yer in luck, as usually ya gotta cut out the deck,.....
Then remove the tank, 'n install a new one,.....

Since this is a small boat and is most likely on a trailer, and since I did not hear anything about the existing fuel tank being anything but contaminated....... here's my suggestion:

..... do not yet remove the old fuel tank.
..... drain what fuel you can from the existing fuel tank.
..... add about five gallons of fresh Non-Ethanol fuel to the tank.
..... take the boat/trailer for a ride on a somewhat bumpy road and allow the new fuel to splash around.
..... when you come back, drain this out and properly dispose of it.

..... install a Parker/RACOR fuel filtration system at an elevation that offers enough space underneath it to place a catch container.
(for an enclosed inboard engine, it must have the metal bowl)

.... add more fresh Non-Ethanol fuel to the tank.
.... take the boat out for an on-the-water test drive.

.... change the filter after XX hours of run time.
.... keep an eye on the fuel that settles into the bowl by removing the drain plug and catching what fuel is in the bowl.

The Parker/RACOR system will do an excellent job at catching any contamination and debris.
Eventually, the contamination will be captured by the RACOR system, and you will have spared yourself of the work and cost of a replacement fuel tank.

Last edited:
Often if you can reach the fuel sender, it will afford enough access to the tank innards to do a decent job of getting out the last bit of crap. Drain tank a s much as
possible via the lines, then remove sender. Tilt boat so that the sender is at the low end of the tank... insert hose and pump out the residue. Ricardo's procedure works well also.

Often if you can reach the fuel sender, it will afford enough access to the tank innards to do a decent job of getting out the last bit of crap. Drain tank a s much as
possible via the lines, then remove sender. Tilt boat so that the sender is at the low end of the tank... insert hose and pump out the residue. Ricardo's procedure works well also.

Good advice, Bob.

At this point, you can also:
..... remove the pick up tube and clean the screen.
..... replace the Anti-Siphon valve.
..... examine the fuel gauge sending unit.

Back