Logo

Buying twin bf200 engines

Kstafford

Contributing Member
I am buying a boat with twin 2008 Honda bf200 with 315 hours on them. The only service record is the replacement of one engines 02 sensor in 2015. They have been in salt water their whole life. 12 years old now what should I be weary of thanks.

Also it appears my engines are different production cutoffs I have a
BAEJ 1500155 and a
BAFJ 1500043 that seems to fit into more trouble prone areas on your list. ☹️

OK. You need to be concerned with the exhaust tubes. Your engines likely have the originals in it. You can call Honda Customer Service at 770-497-6400, give them your serial numbers, and see if they have a record of the exhaust tubes being changed out under warranty IAW Honda Service Bulletin # 56.

The original exhaust tubes allowed water to get too far up in them and would blow the HO2 sensor. Also, under certain circumstances, they would allow water to get into the lower two cylinders via an engine kick back or reverse rotation that could occur when the engine is turned off and a piston is near TDC of the exhaust stroke. With the piston moving backwards and the exhaust valve open, water is siphoned into the combustion chamber through the exhaust manifold and the open exhaust valve. This causes corrosion in the cylinder and on rare occasions would cause a complete hydro-lock, destroying the engine.

Send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will return a copy of service bulletin #56. The parts kit is only a bit over $100 USD on www.boats.net. Several owners on this forum have done the work themselves. But it apparently takes several hours or a day to change them out.

According to the SB, these are the SN's that are affected.

BF 200A
• BAEJ 10000001 to approximately 1500116
• BAFJ 10000001 to approximately 1500016

Yes they are! I missed that. Look at the diagram's in SB#56 to confirm. The new ones are configured differently.

Yes they are! I missed that. Look at the diagram's in SB#56 to confirm. The new ones are configured differently.

That's a possible relief I will double check them both anyway still great info on here and you have been very helpful thank you much !

Back