Logo

New DF6A sticking valves, repeat problems

RGOFAST

Anyone else have problems with the 2018 Suzuki DF6A valves sticking after the engine sits for a few weeks? We have had 4 occurrences, and now another, after the dealer replaced the whole valve train and cylinder head. I believe we have a lemon. An engine should be able to be stored for a few weeks or months, without having the valves freeze up. We only have a total of 30 hrs on the engine, and the service is done properly, on time, with Suzuki parts and lubricants.

Same issue with 2018 DF6A. Looking to replace with a Yamaha!!

We had to use a small slide hammer to draw the stuck open exhaust valve back to its seat, then worked the valve by hand pressure back and forth until it was opening and closing smoothly. We then set valve clearance and it ran fine. We have since did another service, with new fluids, and have been storing it in our garage at home instead of on the boat. I remove the thermostat to exhaust leg hose after each use, to vent moisture out of the exhaust cavity. This seems to help. Suzuki evidently used incompatible materials, not suitable for a Marine environment for the valve and guide. We are out of warranty now, and I’m not going to pay to take this boat anchor to the shop. They have already tried to repair it under warranty, with the same defective parts, so it’s a lost cause.

Back