Logo

Transducer transom hole

I am installing a new garmin 93sv echomap fishfinder to replace a humminbird unit. I removed the old transducer bolted to the hull and speedometer pitot input. Filled in the holes with marine tex then covered with a stern saver. The old transducer came out a hole in the transom which i got opened up and cleaned out. It is a fiberglass boat, with a thick wood transom, about an inch thick. The hole was filled solid with caulking around the cable, what a pain. Once I instal the new cable thru the hole, i plan to seal with 3m 4000. Thinking ahead if I ever have to remove, do i need to fill the whole hole solid the full thinkness with the sealent or just the end of the hole and the plastic cap/ grommet the goes over the cable? I was also considering filling in the hole with marine tex and taking the cable up over the transom and in with motor cabling, but it is a larger size hole for marine tex and afraid power cables from motor will interfear with transducer signal. Not sure how to proceed.

Back