Logo

1986 60 HP Evinrude Motor strangely locked up at low RPM shortly after starting

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
Launched the boat, started the motor and was idling fine for a minute or so while tied to the dock but the fuel line fell from the connector at the motor and engine died. Plugged it back in and restarted the motor, slowly motored away from the dock but only went a hundred feet or so as it was running roughly then abruptly died, failed to restart so we had to paddle it back to the dock. When trying to restart it it just clicked which I thought was from the older battery giving up the ghost but now I'm pretty sure it was not the battery. The engine must have seized at that point.

Got home, found a small crack in one of the fuel lines so replaced all the lines and installed a new battery. Tried to start it and found the motor was locked up. I can't get it to turn more than a few degrees either way with a wrench on top of the flywheel.

I am puzzled about this as I have a fair amount of experience with 2 stroke motors and have never seen one seize unless it was running very hot or a lubrication failure. I have 50-1 premix in the tank and used the same mixed fuel on two previous outings. Motor temp had to be very low.

Is there something about outboard design I don't know about that can cause a motor to lock up like it has? Is there anything I can try before pulling the powerhead?

Thanks for your ideas guys.

Remove the jet unit.-----See if the flywheel will turn.-----Oil injection in service ?----Model # of your motor?

Remove the jet unit.-----See if the flywheel will turn.-----Oil injection in service ?----Model # of your motor?

I will pull pump today and report on what I find. Model # E60TLCD. I bought this motor used, compression was good. I removed the VRO before installing in the boat. It ran great for two short outings.

Thank you RacerOne...you hit the nail on the head. I am embarrassed (and also happy) to say the problem was with the jet. When I assembled it I did not bend the tabs of the locking plate far enough around the nut that holds the impeller on the shaft. The nut vibrated past those tabs and allowing the impeller to move down into the liner. I have a new liner on hand and the impeller did not suffer too bad so I think I can just clean it up with a file and all will be good!

Back