Logo

290 outdrive removal

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I was planning on getting a rebuilt outdrive to replace my existing drive due to a number of things. Turns out the shop is having a hard time removing the intermediate housing. He said he would have to destroy the transom shield to do so due to corrosion. He tried using heat etc but he can’t even get one of the bolts out. He now says we could probably just replace the upper and lower and get things working again. I was having shifting problems, water in the lower unit, u-joint noise and the pds bearings needed replacing. Not really sure how to move forward from here. Is replacing the upper and lower a reasonable way to proceed?

Robert

Nvm. I’m getting a refinished transom shield with rebuilt tilt rams and new hoses. The whole back end should be good to go.

I was planning on getting a rebuilt outdrive to replace my existing drive due to a number of things. Turns out the shop is having a hard time removing the intermediate housing. He said he would have to destroy the transom shield to do so due to corrosion. He tried using heat etc but he can’t even get one of the bolts out.
Occasionally we do find one that is extremely stubborn.

He now says we could probably just replace the upper and lower and get things working again.
*** If you go this route, make dang certain that this shop understands that the re-shimming procedure (for both transmission and lower unit) MUST be performed.

I was having shifting problems, water in the lower unit, u-joint noise and the pds bearings needed replacing. Not really sure how to move forward from here. Is replacing the upper and lower a reasonable way to proceed?
Yes, but only if the transom shield is still serviceable.
See *** above.

Robert

Nvm. I’m getting a refinished transom shield with rebuilt tilt rams and new hoses. The whole back end should be good to go.
NOTE: many sellers (and some shops) do not fully understand the difference between the 290 series and the C series. They look very similar.
Since you have the 290, the transom shield must also be for a 290.

The C series is a better drive.
If you go with a C, make sure that you get all of the C components...... i.e., the transom shield, the hydraulic cylinders, the pump, the suspension fork, the Intermediate housing, etc.

Back