Logo

Replace Metal Reservoir Trim Pump with Later Model Plastic Reservoir Style Pump?

BenThere

Help! I have a 1979 SeaRay with a Mercrusier 228 Stern Drive. I need to replace the Trim Pump. A new pump which directly replaces the metal reservoirs style pump is ~$750! I can find several "later model" pump assemblies for < 1/2 the price. Has any body ever replaced, or does any body know if, the old style can be replaced with the newer style, plastic reservoir?

1982 Yamaha boat STR21, engine 228R, is Gen1 drive. Because it was broken, I replaced it with a plastic container type of Gen2. Reached the present without any problems.

Help! I have a 1979 SeaRay with a Mercrusier 228 Stern Drive. I need to replace the Trim Pump. A new pump which directly replaces the metal reservoirs style pump is ~$750! I can find several "later model" pump assemblies for < 1/2 the price. Has any body ever replaced, or does any body know if, the old style can be replaced with the newer style, plastic reservoir?

Ayuh,...... I did that,.......

Remove all of the return line stuff, ei: reverse-lock, trim sender, etc, then install the new pump, with new trim lines,.....

The pump end of the lines change, not the drive ends,.....

Ayuh,...... I did that,.......

Remove all of the return line stuff, ei: reverse-lock, trim sender, etc, then install the new pump, with new trim lines,.....

The pump end of the lines change, not the drive ends,.....

Thanks for the response. Do you mean that the fitting size changes on the pump end, or just the configuration/location of the connections of one pump vs the other?

Thanks for the response. Do you mean that the fitting size changes on the pump end, or just the configuration/location of the connections of one pump vs the other?

Ayuh,..... The lines are different,......

The ole MC-1s use plastic return lines, the newer use crimped hyd lines,.....

Thanks, good illustrations, nice boat! Did you originally have a metal reservoir unit, or was it always a plastic reservoir? Put another way, is that a replacement for an original metal reservoir pump unit?

Thank you for your reference.
865380A13 Metal. I decided to replace it by aging corrosion and one solenoid disorder. Because the wiring is the same, I use the one purchased at the auction for 12,000 yen (100 dollars). This has durability.

Thank you for your reference.
865380A13 Metal. I decided to replace it by aging corrosion and one solenoid disorder. Because the wiring is the same, I use the one purchased at the auction for 12,000 yen (100 dollars). This has durability.

Thanks, again, for the responses. This is helpful for me. The numbers on the parts are different, but the configurations and line sizes seem to be compatible. It gives me some ideas on what to do next. Domo arigatou.

Back